VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 3DFX 3500 TV that I bought off ebay. However it turns out to be the UK/PAL version. This has not been a problem so far and has displayed just fine on monitors. However, I believe this may be causing issues with a KVM switch that I am using. I have 4 computers hooked up to this switch and the one with the PAL card is the only that will not display right. I am getting refresh rate and "Input out of Range" errors on the LCD that I am using.

Are there any changes I could make to this card to make it show the correct refresh rate and resolution through the KVM? It wont even show the initial black screen when the computer is turned on on the LCD. It will show up on an old CRT that I have but the picture is small and wavy and I cant change to a resolution higher than 800x600.

Reply 1 of 8, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe the PAL/NTSC only applies to the TV tuner and possibly video in/out. VGA should be the same.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 2 of 8, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote:

I believe the PAL/NTSC only applies to the TV tuner and possibly video in/out. VGA should be the same.

That's kind of what i was thinking but I'm not sure of any other reason it would be throwing the KVM switch the way it is when no other does? It just seems odd to me.

I wonder if the fact that I'm not using the 3DFX breakout cable but instead a rigged up adapter that sits between the Voodoo 3500 output and a VGA cable? It did not seem to matter with a direct connection to the monitor but maybe its enough to matter with the KVM.

Reply 4 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

European Voodoo 3 3500 can output both TV standards by the way.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 8, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I do have an official breakout cable for the 3500 in the mail. Should arrive early next week so I will be able to see if that is the issue. I Hope that's all it is!

Reply 6 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

This is correct.

It sounds more like the VGA signal coming from the card is unstable or otherwise problematic, or like the KVM has trouble processing certain signals (not unheard of problem).

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a S3 Virge card that doesn't like my Compaq 8 port KVM.
It'll happily work attached to a cheap generic 4 port KVM which is then attached to the Compaq 8 port!
Computers do strange things sometimes

Reply 8 of 8, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

I have a S3 Virge card that doesn't like my Compaq 8 port KVM.
It'll happily work attached to a cheap generic 4 port KVM which is then attached to the Compaq 8 port!
Computers do strange things sometimes

Funny you should say that. I actually just solved my problem by doing that exact thing! I had to run the cable from the Voodoo 3 through another very cheap 2 port switch then back into the 8 port and now it works just fine!