VOGONS

First post, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I've obtained a microATX board GA-6ZMA (Rev 1.2) from Gigabyte, it is a 440ZX so only 256MB SDRAM. There already was a beta BIOS F2g (removing some hw limitations) so I kept it and installed P3 850MHz (runs flawlessly).

My problem is that this board refuses to work properly with AGP graphic cards like Geforce FX5200 or FX5500 (all the cards are either 128 or 256MB). It will display POST, BIOS and run the installation of W98SE without problem but when I try to install drivers for it, there's always a hardware conflict, then it runs only in basic resolution and colors. I tried several manufacturers of those cards mentioned above and the result is always the same. It says that there is conflict with some parts of motherboard. None of the resources can be changed. I read several articles about conflicts in 98, tried different settings in BIOS, power management, AGP/PCI, IRQ reservations, PNP - with no effect so far. AND...

The problem lies not only with W98. I tried to install LUBUNTU (version for old and slow PC's) and with any of those Geforces I can only see a language selection and installation menu, if I click on anythig there, I get black screen and that's it.

To make it more interesting... If I use Nvidia QUADRO for the AGP slot, everything runs as it should. LUBUNTU can be installed without any trouble. W98 has no conflict.

I just don't understand what is it that my motherboard does not like about those FX cards. Any of them. What I'm trying to achieve with this is that - first, I wish to use the DVI port. I have no fancy card like 4TI or anything else and these are the strongest I have. And second, I would like to put the whole thing in a SFF case. I have an LP LAN card, there's an onboard ESS Solo 1... but just the freakin' QUADRO is full height so no can do. All my other boards with SLOT1 or Socket7 can handle all those cards without trouble - but they are ATX (and cant handle my P3).

If anyone has any idea about what's going on, I'll be happy to listen and try. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Edman wrote:

a beta BIOS F2g (removing some hw limitations)

Seems to me there might be a good reason it's a "beta BIOS".

Sounds like you've tried all the obvious settings. The only other thing I can suggest is to try using HIMEMX in your config.sys, mostly because it's easy to try. Otherwise, maybe you'll have to switch to a non-beta BIOS and live with the hardware limitations.

Reply 2 of 6, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ Jorpho: Thank you. I'm not that skilled, but HIMEMX is not going to fix the Linux issue, right? It does not use config.sys, that's DOS based, correct? I'm afraid that reverting BIOS will cause the CPU to not be recognized. The official support is 550MHz only. I guess it will be safer to find another board or just toss the SFF case idea - shame.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Edman wrote:

I'm not that skilled, but HIMEMX is not going to fix the Linux issue, right? It does not use config.sys, that's DOS based, correct?

Indeed. I don't know what you would do about the Linux issue.

Reply 4 of 6, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you find out what is conflicting?

You can try running the attached utility with both configurations (FX 5XXX & Quadro) and compare the outputs for differences. The utility is supposed to work under Win9X systems. If the utility runs successfully, click on the 'OK' button(bottom left) and then click on 'Save All'. It may contain some personal information(in case you think of uploading the output).

Which lubuntu version are you using? You can check the /var/log for various logs that may possibly contain verbose error messages to point you in the right direction.

Filename
siv32l.zip
File size
1.46 MiB
Downloads
50 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 5 of 6, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ gandhig: Thank you. The Lubuntu is 17.04. The installation menu (to my knowledge) does not put any logs anywhere. HDD is untouched and instllation runs from a CD. With the FX card, it won't even start to install. Thank you also for the utility, I'll check it just to try and learn what was happening. In the meanwhile, I've sort of solved my problem by getting an ASUS A9250. It's a dirt cheap 128MB DVI low profile card and also works flawlessly like the QUADRO. So - for the moment I don't need to hunt that bug down for the immediate effect. Should I find out anythig interesting about the FX line, I'll post my findings. Thank you again.

Reply 6 of 6, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, it was my mistake to wrongly think that you got Lubuntu installed, but had problems with installing the video driver for FX5XXX.

Understood that you got a different graphics card which is working with your setup.

Still, if you are interested in troubleshooting FX 5XXX in Lubuntu, you can try the install by adding 'nomodeset' to the menu entry. You may be aware to remove the 'quiet' and 'splash' options for a verbose boot mode.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain