VOGONS

First post, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know already that this is going to sound stupid, and probably pretty n00bish, but my familiarity in working with multiple 3D accelerators in Windows 98 is nil, especially considering that when I was actually using Windows 98 in the late 90's and early 00's I don't think I had even one 3D accelerator, let alone multiple.

Anyway, so I'm building a Windows 98SE machine and I have a Trident Blade 3D and a Voodoo2 at my disposal to do so. Obviously the Voodoo2 is not a solution in and of itself, so I know I need the Blade 3D... which has 3D capabilities, of course, but from what I've been reading, the Voodoo2 is about 50% better/faster than the budget Trident card in that respect. So, I'd really like to use the Voodoo2 card in the build, but my question is... how do I ensure that games use the Voodoo2 card for 3D rendering, and not the Blade 3D? Is there some sort of a "select default OpenGL renderer" option in Windows 98?

Reply 2 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends on the game. Glide games will of course have no regard for your Trident card at all. In some cases, particularly for games based on the Quake engine, you will probably want to use WickedGL.
http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/wickedgl/index.php

In other cases it is necessary to copy 3dfxvgl.dll (which is normally in the System32 directory, I think) into the game's directory and rename it to opengl32.dll.

For DirectX games, things can get tricky. There is a little utility called 3D Control Center which basically just renames a registry key and makes Windows think that only one 3D accelerator is present.