VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I posted in the VGA Capture thread some days ago but didn't receive any reply yet, so I'm making a new entire thread about it.
I bought the AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite PCI-E capture card for my streaming and recording needings, it works perfectly when I record my PS3 footage, but... I got a huge problem for anything non-HDMI.

As some of you might know, that capture card has an HDMI IN and an HDMI OUT port in its I/O, one for input signal and one for video passthru.

I bought an active converter that can convert component and VGA to HDMI, it works perfectly when I connect it to my HDMI monitor or when I use the capture card's video passthru plugging in the monitor in the HDMI OUT of the card, but I get a completely black screen in every software where there should be the capture card's preview.

I get a black screen in RECentral, a black screen in OBS, XSplit and even on Skype (I can use the capture card as a webcam and show my friends it in real time, works much better than ManyCam or Skype's desktop sharing).

The converter itself actually works, as I can see it just fine when I use the video passthru on the capture card plugging the monitor in the HDMI OUT port, or plugging the converter directly to my HDMI monitor, but I can't record anything because the preview just shows a black screen... the software even detects the signal and automatically adjusts the resolution !!!

Here are some screenshots and some photos:
oGB29THKSFKC2HImkSmGaA.png
KZqZAsUtRz_fJ-15ObyhoQ.png
KTPWhdW8RdS708rSfhxJ2w.png
This is the converter itself, front view with the power led, red/green led (green = 1080p, red = 720p), menù button, resolution switch buttons and input selector button.
x3D_69c4QKmVrrq2aviS4Q.png
This is the rear of the converter, where you can see the HDMI output, VGA, 3.5mm audio and component inputs and 5v DC.
ndZ_zaFMQSyXgn2MY2qIVA.png
Here's where the other end of the VGA cable is: straight into my currently best DOS PC (What model and manufacturer is this motherboard ??)GTZyCODfTdyLmUqtNJF67g.png
Here's where I plugged the HDMI cable into my new capture card.
44BaqsiURkiVLc5hgdSi-w.png
And as you can see, while the preview is pure black anywhere, when I connect my main monitor in the HDMI OUT of the capture card, I can see everything just fine... but how am I supposed to record if the preview is blank ?
When I hit the record button it only makes a 1 KB .ts video file... it's like the converter skips the capture card completely, but nonetheless it gives her all the signal information (check the second screenshot) !!!

Please help, I bought this capture card to increase my video and twitch quality, but I must solve this issue first !!! I member you that the card works fine, as I can record my PS3 perfectly.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 27, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your capture card may not like 70Hz refresh rates, whereas your monitor supports them . Does your VGA to to HDMI convert to 60Hz ? What does your monitor's OSD say about the converted signal ?

Reply 2 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What brand/model is that converter box? (EDIT: I am guessing that that convertor box does not have any scaling capability at all which is why you cannot get it to work with the capture card in anything below 640x480).

What exact resolutions and refresh rates does it support?

What resolutions and refresh rates does the capture card and software support?

I have an older Avermedia card that has HDMI and VGA inputs. The scaler I have also specifically supports the lower resolutions and can upscale them to a resolution the capture card actually supports.

The model of the Avermedia card I have is C127, which Avermedia has pulled the drivers/software for after they stopped selling it.

The converter box I have is an Atlona AT-HD500
https://atlona.com/product/at-hd500/

Most of the newer scaler boxes will not work properly with lower, specifically DOS, resolutions. The model they made to replace it doesn't even support the lower resolutions.

There are one or two other companies that sold the same exact scaler, but just rebranded it. If you find one that looks exactly the same except for the name, then it is the same unit.

Here are a few on eBay:
AT-HD500 - BIN $25 + shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlona-AT-HD500-VGA-t … 1-/222488368681

AT-HD500 - Auction
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATLONA-VGA-to-HDMI-Co … 0-/192220524483

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-06-21, 00:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kode54 wrote:

Another possibility, that would show how dumb your VGA to HDMI adapter's designers may be: Maybe it's applying HDCP to the signal?

I highly doubt that that is the problem. The capture card, or at least the software does not support lower resolutions. Without up-scaling there is not going to be a way to get it to work.

I spent hours upon hours researching this before I purchased a scaler and capture card.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 27, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whew, took you guys quite a bit to reply, eh ? By the way, here are both VGA and Component (because I also have the same problem with component, I can't record my PS2, for example for this issue, BUT I can hear sounds... a bit distorted but I hear them) input and HDMI outputs of my converter:

I read right from the box of the converter:

Supported VGA INPUT resolutions: "Supports adjust phase position, underscan, overscan, automatic. Resolutions supporter: 640x480 @60Hz, 800 x 600 @60Hz, 1024 x 768 @60Hz, 1280 x 720 @60Hz, 1280 x 768 @60Hz, 1280 x 960@60Hz, 1280 x 1024 @60Hz, 1360 x 768 @60Hz, 1366 x 768 @60Hz, 1400 x 1050 @60Hz, 1440 x 900 @60Hz, 1600 x 900 @60Hz, 1680 x 1050 @60Hz, 1920 x 1080 @60Hz

Supported Component input: Detects signal and mode automatically. Resolutions supported: 480i@60Hz, 480p@60Hz, 576i@50Hz, 576p@50Hz, 720p@50/60Hz, 1080i@50/60Hz, 1080p@50/60Hz

HDMI OUTPUT: 720p@50/60Hz, 1080p@50/60Hz

There is no "70Hz" anywhere written in the box and it can only output 720p and 1080p which are fine resolutions for my capture card (my PS3 outputs both resolutions and both of them @60Hz work just fine).

So basically this converter is already upscaling the signal from 640x480 (which is a perfect resolution even for Windows ME, but which still doesn't appear on my capture card's preview) up to 1080p @50 or 60 (switchable) Hz.

EDIT: I almost forgot, here are the specs (supported inputs included) of my new capture card, directly from AVerMedia's website:

Specifications
Interface: PCI Express
Video Input: HDMI*
Audio Input: HDMI, 3.5 mm stereo
Video Output: HDMI pass-through
Audio Output: HDMI pass-through, 3.5 mm stereo pass-through
Maximum Capture Resolution: 1080p30 (60 Mbps)
Supported Resolution: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i
Encoding Format: MP4 (codec: hardware H.264 encoder)
Bundled Software: RECentral
Compatible Software: DirectShow compliant software such as XSplit or OBS
Dimensions: 4.8 x 4.1 x 0.9 in (123 x 104 x 22 mm)
Weight: 2.5 oz (70 g)

Most important ones:

Reply 6 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the normal DOS resolution is way under 640x480. I am guessing that that is why it isn't working. Like I said, there are very few converters/scalers that support DOS mode resolutions. Even if it works with passing directly to the monitor doesn't mean it is putting out a signal that the capture card or capture card software recognizes.

I can get the same non-working state if I don't have my scaler set properly.

Also, what is the brand/model of that converter?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 27, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The converter is a Techly IDATA HDMI-YPBPR2 YPBPR-VGA to HDMI

I cant Find an actual model code written on its box or in the bottom sticker

Most important ones:

Reply 8 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the mfg page with the specs.

Lowest VGA resolution it supports is 640x480

https://www.techly.com/en_ty/converter-vga-an … with-audio.html

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 27, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly, that's what I said when I pasted the supported inputs and outputs written on the box.

However, it doesn't seem to be this the problem, because:

A) It does the exact same thing with component when I plug in my PS2 or Nintendo WII: Black screen on preview and perfectly working on any HDMI monitor (notice: the Nintendo Wii is already set up with HDTV 720p resolution mode, because that's how I always connected it to my TV)

B) It still doesn't show anything in the software even when I go on Windows ME on that PC with resolutions above 320x420 (which I think it's the DOS resolution)... so for example if I set it at 640x480 or 1024x768, I still don't see anything in the software, but it works just fine via the card's video passthru.

I thought it would be a resolution problem as well, but since it still doesn't work even with correct resolution inputs, it gets me very confused... I mean... I dunno which resolution my PS2 uses with component, but I'm 100% sure about my Wii using 720p, which is a supported input resolution for that converter.

EDIT: Just tested on Windows ME with 640x480, 1024x768 and even 1920x1080 (so it should be 1:1, no ?!) and, as I suspected, nothing changed...

here are some pictures and even a picture of the converter's OSD with the output resolution (I tried all 4 resolutions, 720p @50 and 60Hz and 1080p @50 and 60Hz and nothing changes, except an obvious difference of quality on the monitor).
-BylRat4TM29bjGGkSk88w.png
Rq9z89yhTEqk6nHgdGZ_2w.png

Once again, the software detects the signal and automatically adjusts the resolution and bitrate according to the converter (720p or 1080p with different bitrates).

I just wanted to prove that it's not a DOS-only issue 🙁

Most important ones:

Reply 10 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still think the problem is the converter.

Maybe it is faulty. Maybe it doesn't really support everything it says it does.

I wish I could find the page again where somebody had tested some different ones and listed what worked and what didn't.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 27, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally got a reply from AVerMedia on the e-mail I sent them days ago:

"Dear Customer, 

Thank you for contacting AverMedia Technical Support

Regarding the issue you reported, we believe it is a compatible issue with your converter and GL510E.

There are too many brands and models of converters in the market. Some might be compatible and other might not, but our suggestion is alway using the original signal coming from the source since the product was not designed to include a converter between devices.

We believe your question is why pass though works but Recentral doesn't, and the answer is because when GL510E process pass though, it doesn't do any decode. it simply pass trough whatever signals it received to the TV. Recording in Recentral, on the other hand, is a different story. GL510E will decode first (because it a hardware decode product), and then send the signals to Recentral.

If the converter is not compatible with GL510E, chances are the signals can to be decoded, and therefore the result is 0kB recorded files.

We hope the information would be helpful and thank you once again for contacting AverMedia Technical Support. "

TL;DR: their idea is that the signal coming from the converter doesn't get decoded by the encoder, but the video passthru works because (as I suspected) it doesn't decode anything but acts like a monitor.

So with these new bits of informations in mind, we must figure out a way to either get a signal that the encoder is able to decode out of that converter (perhaps with splitters or other stuff), or find a Component and VGA to HDMI converter that sends the correct signal to the capture card.

I found in a drawer 2 things: a DVI to HDMI and a DVI to VGA adapters, but I don't think that I could get VGA to HDMI through these... can't I ?

Most important ones:

Reply 12 of 27, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem that you are running into with both the capture card (using the non-scaling ADC) and the $25 "scaler" is that they don't support 70Hz signals. They only want VESA spec. 60Hz input. They should work with the output from Windows ME though, as long as its set to 60Hz. The best way to test would be booting into Safe Mode, which is always 640x480 @ 60hz.

Reply 13 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

The problem that you are running into with both the capture card (using the non-scaling ADC) and the $25 "scaler" is that they don't support 70Hz signals. They only want VESA spec. 60Hz input. They should work with the output from Windows ME though, as long as its set to 60Hz. The best way to test would be booting into Safe Mode, which is always 640x480 @ 60hz.

This!

One of the Atlona boxes I linked to would completely take care of the problem like I said before.

They are very nice units and were not cheap when new.

There really is 0 reason for the OP to try to get the current converter box working with the setup.... it just won't. End of story.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 27, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok here's a little update:

I just tried another VGA to HDMI converter, with this one I get a constant "No Signal" (there's literally that text in the preview) and nothing on the monitor on any resolution below 640x480, I.E. I can't see the BIOS and I have to blindly arrow down + enter at the right time to go on Windows ME at the dual boot screen of that testing PC.

Once on Windows ME, with this one I actually get it to show on the preview screen in the software, so THIS ONE is resolution based, but I still don't understand why this one acts like that and the other, much more expensive (it was €65,99 on ePrice) Component + VGA to HDMI converter shows a total black screen on software but it always works on the monitor.

So what I'm trying to figure out now is this: how can one tell which converter will be able to recognize lower resolutions than 640x480 (but obviously also higher ones, I wouldn't want a converter for any PC I want to record) and which ones, like this one, not ?

AH and another thing that confirms the resolution theory on this converter: once I am on Windows ME and I can record everything, whatever game I launch (I could only try Claw, Simon the Sorcerer Pinball and GLQuake, didn't even bother with DOS games for obvious resolution reasons), I DON'T get a "No Signal" (which I do get with lower resolutions than 640 x 480), but instead I get a black screen in the software and working video on monitor, but remember what I wrote a few rows earlier: I get NO SIGNAL and NOTHING on the monitor with this converter on BIOS, DOS and any lower resolution than 640 x 480...

weird thing is that the software detects the resolution as "640 x 1920" when I launch Claw, a VERY interesting resolution (no, it doesn't have anything to do with the monitor, it detects that even with my monitor plugged off the HDMI OUT).

Here's a quick video I recorded on Windows ME with this other converter and my new capture card, for the curious ones on how it looks like, quality-speaking:

https://youtu.be/ucLgrdogFdE (I still wish embedded videos would be a thing here...)

Notice how the video abruptly stops when I launch Simon the Sorcerer Pinball: that's when the "black screen on software" thing happened, it automatically works again when I close the fullscreen game and go back to Windows...

so yeah... I can now record Windows... but can't record anything that dynamically changes its resolution ?

Most important ones:

Reply 15 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Atlona boxes work fine for pretty much everything, at least from my testing and others' testing as well.. but only the older models.

From what I could find, they are the best for the price you can get used.

The HD500 and the HD510VGA are excellent.

They support every DOS resolution and refresh rate as far as I am aware and the output quality is excellent. These things went for a couple hundred when new and you can generally find a few for $25-$50 used.

You use the built-in setup menu to set up the output mode and the box takes care of the rest.

Trying multiple different cheapo ones is not going to get you the results you are looking for/need.

You can also look up Geffen and XRGB if you want to see what the high-dollar ones cost.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 27, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found this one:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Atlona-AT-HD510VGA-PC- … aAAAOSwpkFY69Zl

Are you sure this one supports ANY VGA resolution and the capture card would accept it ?

Still can't find one with Italian electrical plug though... gotta find a converter for that aswell, apparently...
220px-Spina_10_amp.JPG

Most important ones:

Reply 17 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:
I found this one: […]
Show full quote

I found this one:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Atlona-AT-HD510VGA-PC- … aAAAOSwpkFY69Zl

Are you sure this one supports ANY VGA resolution and the capture card would accept it ?

Still can't find one with Italian electrical plug though... gotta find a converter for that aswell, apparently...
220px-Spina_10_amp.JPG

I have a HD510VGA on the way and can double check once it arrives. Actually, says it was delivered today, so I can test tonight.

I already have the HD500 which was the lower end version with only HDMI output instead of HDMI and VGA output and I can verify that it does work with even the POST screen resolution with my Avermedia card and software.

What are some specific games and/or resolutions you would like tested?

Also, the power adapter is nothing really special. It is just a regular 5v DC adapter. I'll get specific power output and let you know what it is. May be cheaper to get an adapter that works with your type of plug/power than it will be to get a step down convertor. Who knows, the power adapter may be a universal and be able to take 110/220. I'll let you know that as well. From the picture it does look like it says 100-240vAC but I will confirm.

And the seller is the same person I bought one from.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 27, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything lower than 640 x 480, if you have the possibility, I'd also like to see whether or not it can keep up the signal when it switches resolution, for example from Windows 9x launching a DOS game.

Most important ones:

Reply 19 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will hopefully be hooking mine up later this evening. In the meantime here are a couple videos showing the startech rebrand of the Atlona HD500

https://youtu.be/8ywR3njjDD8

https://youtu.be/pJPitZh3HKA

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK