VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wew boy this system likes to throw me problems.
I had a Geforce 2 in it, but I wanted to play Morrowind and figured, eh, why not throw in a Geforce 4?
Problem- it doesn't work. At all. No 3D. It works fine in 2D for GUI stuff, but DXDIAG fails.... but is more stable during the DX8 and DX9 tests than DX7, oddly enough.

The board has a Via 133A chipset, and I've removed everything except that video card- so what the hell is the problem? Is there a suggested driver to use? I've messed around with everything Via offers without success.

E: AGP 4x and fast write are both disabled.
E2: This is under XP, I had the same problems under 2K and decided to upgrade and see if that fixed it- N O P E

E: Dangit this Geforce 2 GTS was working fine under 2K and now it's bust under Xp aaaaaa I've gone backwards.

E4: Dual P3 933 (same stepping) with 256+128+128 ram.
E5: DXdiag works 100% fine on Windows 98SE with AGP acceleration on... using the same drivers. Actually took me a very long time to find a driver set that worked for 98SE. I had to /not/ install chipset drivers (98 comes with working ones) and use a very specific version.

E6: 30.82 appears to work. The Geforce 2 GTS running at AGP 2x completes DXDIAG. Will it at 4x?
E6.2 Nope, :p. Will try the GF4 now.
E6.3 Nooope.

Nvidia Drivers that have /not/ worked for the GF2:
~30.82 works~
Nvidia drivers that have not worked for the GF4: (E: Breakthough, the GF4 is /more stable on AGP 4X than 2X. The exact opposite of the GF2, ugh.) [Retesting these at AGP 4x- it's /more/ stable... but not completely stable. This is akin to Win 2k before I found the magic driver that worked.... so I just need to find it again.]
45.23 (Completes DXDIAG at AGP 4x, reports as AGP 2x in drivers. Crashes during part 2 of 3dmark 2003.)
56.72 (Completes DXDIAG at AGP 4x, reports as AGP 2x in drivers. Crashes during part 2 of 3dmark 2003.)
67.66 (Completes DXDIAG at AGP 4x, reports as AGP 2x in drivers. Crashes during part /1/ of 3dmark 2003.)
81.85 (Completes DXDIAG at AGP 4x, reports as AGP 2x in drivers. Crashes starting 3dmark 2003)
91.28 (Completes DXDIAG at AGP 4x, reports as AGP 2x in drivers. Crashes starting 3dmark 2003)
Asus Drivers that don't work:
52.16 (Works with AGP off, passed DXDIAG... and 3DMark crashed after loading aaaugh so close.)
56.55 (Passes DXDIAG with AGP on... at 4X? Oh my this might be progress! 3Dmark crashes though ;-;)
56.72 (Starts passmark... crashes- at 4X)
71.81 (Works with AGP off, however. Worls at 4X, gets half way through passmark, crashes.)
71.84 (Also will do DXDIAG with AGP off- but won't run Passmark so welp.)

Welll that's about all I care to try, GF4 is just fucked on it I guess.

Last edited by SRQ on 2017-06-21, 23:33. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess it's all about VIA's chipset AGP problems.
Maybe this helps.
Don't install VIA's AGP Driver on Win2000 & XP, Windows should have stable drivers included. Probably just don't install VIA's 4in1 chipset drivers.
Install George E. Breese PCI Latency patch http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … =876&menustate=

Reply 4 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I've used VIA boards, it's always been with ATI video cards. I guess that's just a magic combination.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 8, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That did not fix it, sadly. Still hangs during the DX7 part of DXDIAG- which is what I consider the easiest test.
So:
Geforce 2, AGP 4x: Hangs, often during the OS itself. 2x: Totally stable.
Geforce 4: AGP 4x: Stable in OS itself, hangs during DX7 test but starts it at least. 2x: Hangs immediately on using 3d.

Reply 6 of 8, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never thought about it, because this was stable with a GF2 but it took forever to find good drivers... but a 350 watt PSU is too weak for a ti 4200, multiple drives, and dual P3 933s isn't it?

hmmm

Reply 8 of 8, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Resetting BIOS has made the GF2 stable enough to complete 3dmark 2000 again so that's... nice.

Which... changed AGP to 4x?! I swear to god I'm going to figure out what this things deal is EVENTUALLY.

Could AGP driving mode have anything to do with it? I've messed around with that because a bios reset doesn't change it. It's BB right now.

E: The GF4 has also completed 3dmark 2000.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IT TOOK SO MANY HOURS TO GET HERE AND I'M NOT EVEN SURE WHAT FIXED IT

E2: Although the GF4 is underperforming and the GF2 appears to be too, not by a high margin (10%) for the GF2 but the GF4 benchmarks as not faster than the GF2 at all. Whatever though, it /works/ and I decided to use the GF4 for a P4 system anyway- it's a little odd it's underperforming, but it's not much.
(3dMark 2000 gives it 5300 marks)