VOGONS

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like was it windows 95 as a upgrade card or mostly worked best on windows98SE?

Reply 1 of 14, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran one circa 1999/2000 I think and upgraded to GeForce when the first one was released. So imho, 98SE is prime time for that TNT2 Ultra.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 14, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would've been 1999 so 98SE yeah, I mean I'm sure people did run it on 95 but it's definitely fast enough for 98SE and suits a system like that very well.
Considering that the games it runs well with all support 95 and 98 it's up to you mostly, honestly.

Reply 5 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back then a friend of mine got a TNT2 (the Diamond Viper V770 non-ultra) along with his then new Athlon 500MHz. The 500MHz Athlon was at the time not the fastest model. I don't really remember much else though, except that his motherboard was an MS-6167. Too bad that at some point in time he decided to donate this rig to his niece instead of donating it to me 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 14, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple of years ago I got a hand me down pc with MS-6167 mobo + Athlon 500 + ASUS V3800 AGP NVIDIA Riva TNT2 Ultra 32 MB. The mobo eventually went on to a better Athlon fan than me but before I parted with it I saved the following 3DMark99 benchmarks:
3DMark99 800x600
video benchmark 5099
cpu benchmark 9227
oo
3DMark99 1024x768x16
video benchmark 4846
cpu benchmark 9311
oo

With an Athlon K7 700 MHz that I had lying around at the time it looked like this:
3DMark99 1024x768x16
video benchmark 5349
cpu benchmark 11338

There was as far as I remember an article in which it was stated that the TNT2 Ultra worked better on high-end Athlons than on contemporary cpu's... for what it is worth..

Reply 7 of 14, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Back then a friend of mine got a TNT2 (the Diamond Viper V770 non-ultra) along with his then new Athlon 500MHz. The 500MHz Athlon was at the time not the fastest model. I don't really remember much else though, except that his motherboard was an MS-6167. Too bad that at some point in time he decided to donate this rig to his niece instead of donating it to me 😵

PARKE wrote:

A couple of years ago I got a hand me down pc with MS-6167 mobo + Athlon 500 + ASUS V3800 AGP NVIDIA Riva TNT2 Ultra 32 MB.

You guys might wanna check if you're related.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 8 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Reputator wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

PARKE wrote:

A couple of years ago I got a hand me down pc with MS-6167 mobo + Athlon 500 + ASUS V3800 AGP NVIDIA Riva TNT2 Ultra 32 MB.

You guys might wanna check if you're related.

Haha! When I started reading, I was starting to consider the same thing 🤣!
But it cannot be the case, as I know he later (ok, now this really buggers me even till this day 😵 ) upgraded his Viper V770 (which he gave to me) with a real GeForce 1 😢

I kinda like the TNT2, but I would've preferred the GF 1 😊

edit: Or the GF1 died at some point and was replaced with a spare TNT2 Ultra 🤣!
So PARKE, where do you live? 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I might be related to everyone here who also has a M919 AM5x86-133 S3 Trio64v+ system 🤣

It would've been hilarious if it were actually true. One big happy family 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 14, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

edit: Or the GF1 died at some point and was replaced with a spare TNT2 Ultra 🤣!
So PARKE, where do you live? 🤣

Netherlands of course, where else ? 😉

test22.jpg
Filename
test22.jpg
File size
127.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception