VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone recognize this graphics card?
Also I would like to know if I can put it on any motherboard that has AGP slot like Asus P2B or would there be a problem with not enough power through the AGP slot?

20170623_181921.jpg
Filename
20170623_181921.jpg
File size
4.1 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20170623_181937.jpg
Filename
20170623_181937.jpg
File size
4.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a Radeon 9700 Pro (see below for possible correction). Power shouldn't be an issue but you have to use a floppy power connector (see top right side of the card). It should work in any AGP 4x/8x slot and there are drivers for Windows 98 on AMDs website.

Should work fine on the 440bx chipset you mentioned or any other board with an AGP slot from the era, assuming a decent enough power supply with a spare floppy power connector.

Last edited by BeginnerGuy on 2017-06-23, 16:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a Radeon 9700 Pro.

It could be Radeon 9500/9700/9700 pro or even lucky version of Radeon 9800 SE. There is also high probability that it's dead, if not tested before.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That's a Radeon 9700 Pro.

It could be Radeon 9500/9700/9700 pro or even lucky version of Radeon 9800 SE. There is also high probability that it's dead, if not tested before.

Right, I just checked and the P/N number is also on the 9500. So my post is above isn't 100%

I had a 9800 AIW that died on me pretty quickly (heavy artifacting), actually still have that thing in storage since it was so expensive... Did the 9xxx series have an inherent problem? I never bothered reading into it.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I had a 9800 AIW that died on me pretty quickly (heavy artifacting), actually still have that thing in storage since it was so expensive... Did the 9xxx series have an inherent problem? I never bothered reading into it.

My 9800 Pro was sent to ATI for warranty repair twice for artifacting while it was in service. I still have it today and it seems to work fine, but it's only ever used when I get in the mood for benchmarking. Otherwise it's in storage.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It have something to do with Samsung horrible quality control and/or major chip flaws of their BGA memory at that time. This also explains why so few GeForce FX 5800 still kicking today - pretty much all GDDR2 memory was produced by Samsung.
P.S.
But that's just a theory (c)

Reply 6 of 15, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ATI PN up top cannot be used to determine what the card is. IIRC, it's actually the board PN. Since the earlier 9500/9700/9700 Pro all share the same layout, it could be either 3.

However, since your picture is clear, I can see the memory is PN K4026323RA-GC2A, which means its Samsung -2.8ns memory. So the chances of it being a Radeon 9700 Pro is quite high. Most vanilla 9500/9700 have 3ns or slower memory.

Reply 8 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

I tested that the card works at least in my Pentium 2 dos pc. I would probably need windows to find out exactly what model the card is.

Speedsys might tell you. It's pretty good about recognizing VGA devices.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 15, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
Baoran wrote:

I tested that the card works at least in my Pentium 2 dos pc. I would probably need windows to find out exactly what model the card is.

Speedsys might tell you. It's pretty good about recognizing VGA devices.

You could also use GPU-Z and read clocks and other things that might determine what card it is. BTW, all three R300 cards I laid my hands on started artifacting at some time, last one was my early 9700 Pro just months ago. 😢

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 15, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a Radeon R300 card. If it's a 9500 you can easily mod it to a 9700 / 9700pro. Performance of the 9700 is close to a 9800 pro.

Reply 12 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends. Some games will chew a lot of CPU horsepower, so even Core 2 Duo or Phenom won't hurt in certain situations. Like Unreal Tournament games for example or Dungeon Keeper 2.

Reply 13 of 15, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Depends. Some games will chew a lot of CPU horsepower, so even Core 2 Duo or Phenom won't hurt in certain situations. Like Unreal Tournament games for example or Dungeon Keeper 2.

^This.

In general a fast socket A (barton) or socket 478 (2.8GHz+ P4) is a good fit for the card. It also goes great with 754/939 and LGA775 machines.

Reply 14 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran a 9800PRO with a Tualatin Celeron 1300 and can tell you it was severely bottlenwcked. Even a 9600XT was underperforming to the point I went for a 8500 instead. Use the 9700pro with a Socket A AthlonXP at the very least for sure.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose basically it means that anything that I have that has good enough cpu doesn't have AGP slot and has PCI express slot instead. Well, I have A7V133-C that supports palominos, but it currently has 900Mhz duron installed.