VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm getting the below error on my 486 with an on board Mach 64 VLB when trying to get into Win 3x

"There is a conflict between the mach64 memory aperture and the system memory, or between the memory aperture and another option adaptor card.
please run the mach64 install utility and move the aperture to another location."

I'm not sure if its related but running the ATI install/diag tool gives the following error even if I bypass autoexec/config.sys
"Invalid eeprom status. press any key to initialize"
Then get "eeprom failed writing address ??h with data 0h" where ?? is a range of around 50 hex numbers

And once in I cant find anywhere that lets me move the aperture to another location, windows lied to me!

Any one got ideas on how to fix this? DOS is fine, and sometimes I can get into windows fine, but its happing more and more even though nothings changed in the last 6 months

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm curious, how much memory is installed ?
Perhaps it's nothing, but I believe the area between 15-16 MiB is sometimes used for graphics stuff also (LFB, etc.).
At least in ISA systems, I don't know much about VLB machines, though.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

vbios was set to cache and shadowed, changing to just shadowed or completely off still gets the error 🙁

Its got 64MB ram installed, (which it has done for most of its life) but my gut tells me something along those lines as well, I just don't know enough about this low level stuff to troubleshoot effectively

Reply 4 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, 64MB! Awesome! 😁
That's the max. memory that makes sense in Win 3.1 enhanced mode (-> virt. memory, DOS 6 himem.sys, etc.)

My MOD4WIN machine is the only one I've got which has about the same amount of RAM (sample link).
All other machines have less (4MB=286, 12MB=486, 32MB=586, etc.)

That beeing said, Windows 3.1 itself should be fine with 64MB, so I can't see anything wrong here.
So perhaps it's just a driver/resource conflict. If you can, try different memory managers. Maybe that helps.

Also, especially Windows for Workgroups was meant to run on more powerful machines.
I assume, that even back in the 90s, it was actually beeing run on 64MB machines sometimes
(machines which acted as mail servers in offices, for examples).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 5, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a Problem with a Game on My Dos6.22 machine, ist says it has to less Memory to Run.. (48 MB) installed.

But mem /c /p only shows around 23 MB Ram installed.

I've tried different things and at least i used the himem.sys from the win95c installation in my dos6.22 install.. and then mem /c /p shows 48 MB Ram installed.

Maybe this helps for you too?
Have a look at your memory with the MEM Command.