VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to find a Windows 3.1 driver for a Cirrus Logic GD5320 card that I am using. I cant seem to find anything for this particular model anywhere.

Reply 1 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/component … logic-cl-gd5320
it is a VGA card limited to 256K RAM .
The best you can expect in Windows is 640x480 in 16 colours with the included VGA driver .

Reply 2 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes the included SVGA driver works with more recent cards also.
This should provide 800x600 in 4Bit (16colours).

In Windows 2.x, the 640x400 resolution was also popular for a short time.
VGA drivers of that time allowed for 640x400 in 8Bit (256colours).
For graphics cards with 256KiB of memory.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I can't speak for darry, but I believe Windows 3.10 included a SuperVGA driver with 800x600@16colours (have to double check).
In addtition, Windows for Workgroups 3.11 also inluded a 640x480@256colours driver.
But this one required 512KiB of video memory. It worked with the most popular boards of the time WfW was released.
It was also patched later on, so it would work with any VBE compatible video card (including modern models and virtualizers).

The VGA driver darry mentioned is part of Windows 3.1 by default, I believe.
There's also a second one. I assume it is called "VGA (Version 3)" or so.
This driver is the older VGA driver from Windows 3.0, I believe, and was included for compatibility reasons.

The Windows 2.x drivers I mentioned are not provided by Windows (except VGA 640x400/16colours),
but shipped with some VGA cards, like Paradise PVGA.
I only mentioned them to proof that Windows can in theory display 256colours with 256KiB of RAM.
Windows 2.x drivers can't be used in Windows 3.1 (but in Windows 3.0 Real-Mode). 🙁

And last but not least, Windows 3.0 MME also had a few more interesting VGA drivers (320x240 in 256 colours).

Speaking of Windows 3.0, your card (CL-GD5320) seems to be a true vintage model! 😀
There was even an early Win 3.0 beta driver made for you card.
You can find it mentioned here: https://textfiles.meulie.net/bbs/stbfiles.bbs
If it doesn't work, have a look for 5320win3.zip and 5320w386.zip (and 5320vesa.zip for VBE support).

Edit: I browsed a few dozens of my shareware disks, but the closest I found was cirruswd.zip, a Win 3.0 driver from 1990.
mpoli.fi also has a copy of it. It's not much, but maybe it helps. Either by using it or by googling its name for finding another BBS archive with Cirrus drivers.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, I can't speak for darry, but I believe Windows 3.10 included a SuperVGA driver with 800x600@16colours (have to double check).

I actual remember that too, but I do not remember/know if that would work with a VGA-only card .

I seem to recall that there are some issue or limitations when running Windows 3.0 graphics drivers under Windows 3.1 . My memory could off on this, but I think it has something to do with running dos application windowed rather than full screen .

Reply 7 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote:

I seem to recall that there are some issue or limitations when running Windows 3.0 graphics drivers under Windows 3.1 . My memory could off on this, but I think it has something to do with running dos application windowed rather than full screen .

Thanks for that piece of information! Knowing this could come in handy some day.
- To be honest, back in the day I have never used the V3 driver. 😊

The only thing I know of it is.., well, that it is there. 😅 And that it had been hack.. -modified-
for 808x processors, in order to run Win 3.0 in Real-Mode on PC/XT class machines with VGA graphics.

//My video channel//