VOGONS

PCI-X graphics, anyone?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bobolaf wrote:

This is the bridge I keep thinking of using https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot- … -Card~PCIX1PEX4 if it does recognise as a graphics card and does run at x4 PCIe it should be able to feed quite a quick card.

I bought that adapter last year, but have not used it yet. Getting PCI-E 4x speed should be enough for early graphics cards. Plan was to play with it in a Compaq Proliant ML370 G2 server with dual PIII 1266.

Reply 21 of 22, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just snagged a DOME PCIX card on ebay cheap. Its 2003 Planar Systems Inc with a DELL part number. Anybody ever use one of these?

I know its not a gaming card but I figured it would be interesting in an old non AGP/PCIE system. It has 2 DVI ports and I hope a normal monitor can be used.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 22 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The initial Parhelia chips have some hardware bugs and didn't clock as high as they probably planned. The AGP 8x cards have fixes to the fragment AA, display banding issues and have higher clock speeds, but are still slower than a Radeon 8500 or GeForce 4 Ti.

It seems like the lack of occlusion culling tech was supposed to make the chip less complex and instead they went for the 256-bit memory bus in order to have the bandwidth to satisfy the chip's fillrate.