VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I've got my Thinkpad i1460 happily running from a CD-ROM and I'm looking for stuff to feed it.

This thing has an 8MB (dedicated!) Rage Mobility onboard, a surprisingly decent video chip for a '90s laptop IMO.

I can't run Windows without a HDD (nor do I want to), but FreeDOS and Puppy Linux work just fine.

Any accelleratrd stuff I can run that takes advantage of the video chip? Not necessarily only games, just looking to try it out.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

This thing has an 8MB (dedicated!) Rage Mobility onboard, a surprisingly decent video chip for a '90s laptop IMO.

I was stuck with a Rage Pro for the longest time and found it to be largely useless, personally.

Any accelleratrd stuff I can run that takes advantage of the video chip? Not necessarily only games, just looking to try it out.

That would be "ATI CIF". Proprietary 3D API's suggests WipeOut, Assault Rigs, MechWarrior II, and Formula 1. See also ATI experimentation .

Reply 3 of 3, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Thanks for that! Didn't know the API had a name. Also I should have checked that thread first. 😜

Wipeout is interesting as I already have the software DOS version (also have the PSX version and had it on the Saturn until I sold that machine - obviously one of my faves!) Gonna have to give the others a try too.

It looks like Tomb Raider for the Rage is Win32 only which is a shame.

I still don't have a HDD caddy for this thing, so right now it boots from a floppy which loads CD-ROM drivers and sets up a 32MB RAM drive. I can install games to the RAM drive but they have to run mostly off the CD, and I can't really install Windows on it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!