VOGONS

PCI Card advice.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by digitalx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because I don't use a DVD Drive in my main PC. I know it would make more sense, but I ditched that ages ago.

I have to pop out, but I'll write down the exact integrated chip name later here.

Reply 21 of 27, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digitalx wrote:

Because I don't use a DVD Drive in my main PC. I know it would make more sense, but I ditched that ages ago.

Me too 😀 . You could always install the game onto your main PC over the network or maybe mount an ISO.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 22 of 27, by digitalx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK,

Display Adapters: Intel (R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

I have also ordered a 2GB RAM stick to replace the 2x512's that are in there currently, should make a small improvement at least for £3.

Reply 23 of 27, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

not sure whether the machine can support a single 2Gb module, I'm guessing not - two 1GB modules would have been much safer. also yeah, the integrated graphics (gma 950) is awful, DX9c in theory (intel's compliance to standards tends to be quite loose, to say it politely), but just a lot of suck when push comes to shove. ok for the first Half-Life (if you are fine with no FSAA), but that's about it.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 24 of 27, by digitalx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woops, didn't even check that.. I'll make sure what it accepts now, and order THAT instead. Products may have been sent but I can find a buyer locally.

The guy who I was speaking to about the FX5200 bless him, has downloaded the old drivers, taken many photos to show it works and I am gonna feel bad If I choose the 8400GS after the work he has put in.. Or I could buy both, if one dies I have a backup.

OK bought both cards, the dvi to vga and backplate. Fingers crossed.

Reply 25 of 27, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ain't nothing wrong with a backup or two, just make sure you don't end up like some of us.. with hundreds of them.

also, do run gpu-z on that 8400, I'd like to know whether it's really 64bit - thanks.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 27 of 27, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
voodoo47 wrote:

also, do run gpu-z on that 8400, I'd like to know whether it's really 64bit - thanks.

They all are. The G86 only has enough pins for a 64-bit interface.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database