VOGONS

First post, by ryszardonator3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying figure it out what the hell is wrong with my computer...

My specs:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1,5 GHz
nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 128 MB
512 DDR of RAM
Sound Blaster PCI 128
Diamond Monster 3D II 8 MB on FastVoodooII drivers
Realtek RTL 8139D Ethernet PCI
Windows 98 SE Polish language version with SP 2.1

Problem:

On previous "revisions" of my retro gaming machines, my Diamond Monster 3D works very fine with Carma on FastVoodoo drivers...until i changed all my rig to K7 platform. I don't know what is causing the problem, but when i tried to run patched Carmageddon with Voodoo II support...nothing happens. Black screen, no menu sound effects...and that's all...However...something weird happens when i turn off Carma from task manager. If i try to run DOS games/apps which works in full screen mode, the same problem occurs, but i can hear menu sound effects. I think that's not the problem behind the hardware. I tried some games with Glide support just like: Colin McRae Rally and 2.0, Rally Championship 2000, GTA II and Quake II, and (ironically) Carmageddon II works very fine with FastVoodoo driver...

I tried:

- turning off Voodoo from a device manager = DOS games works
- downgrade drivers to FastVoodoo 3.0 (right now i have latest version, 4.6) - still no luck
- downgrade to official drivers by Diamond - Carma finally works, but i can't access to graphics setup and other stuff from control panel, system works unstable (famous Athlon bug?)
- restarting computer = works until i run Carmageddon

I really don't know how to solve it...

PS: Written on 98 SE machine with KernelEx, using SeaMonkey 2.5 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by Nukkus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I know AMD platforms, especially those using the VIA chipset tend to cause major problems with Voodoo II cards without using properly patched drivers.

EDIT: Actually, I remember hearing as well that Athlon XP systems can cause Voodoo II cards to overheat as well.