VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I sold off a 12mb STB Voodoo 2 a while back and the buyer reports texture corruption in Quake 2 and Shipwreckers. Card was fine last I checked but that was 6 months ago and there is shipping that can end up doing all kinds of damage but the errors he describes sound like bad ram..

Here is how it looks when the card is installed in his 430VX Pentium 200MMX, the card is installed in the topmost PCI slot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of5ZLG9GFko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIvvG8NNidI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQQzktv10Y

Is this a bad RAM chip? Bad TMU? I have a lot of (about a dozen) 100mhz 256kx16 edo ram chips to attempt a repair but I have no idea how to identify which chip or cluster went bad. Can anyone help?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 11, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look for bent pins around the TMU chips, wires that are bent together so they touch. It's common enough. Happened to me. I used a knife edge and separated them and straightened them out without breaking the contacts and the card works perfectly fine now for me.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 2 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

Look for bent pins around the TMU chips, wires that are bent together so they touch. It's common enough. Happened to me. I used a knife edge and separated them and straightened them out without breaking the contacts and the card works perfectly fine now for me.

I can't seem to locate any shorting pins on the TMU chips or bad caps. Here are the front and back photos of the card.

STB Front.jpg
Filename
STB Front.jpg
File size
2.27 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
STB Back.jpg
Filename
STB Back.jpg
File size
2.12 MiB
Views
File license

Can you see anything I missed?

Reply 3 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are some really detailed closeups of the front of the card. The only damage I can see is superficial chipping to one of the TMU's sides..

Attachments

• STB Front 3.jpg
    Filename
    STB Front 3.jpg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • STB Front 2.jpg
    Filename
    STB Front 2.jpg
    File size
    1.9 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • STB Front 1.jpg
    Filename
    STB Front 1.jpg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And here are shots of the back. Only one major scratch in an area with no traces.

Attachments

• STB Back 3.jpg
    Filename
    STB Back 3.jpg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • STB Back 2.jpg
    Filename
    STB Back 2.jpg
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • STB Back 1.jpg
    Filename
    STB Back 1.jpg
    File size
    1.62 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So iiuc, you sold a v2 and the buyer reported these issues. Is the card at this moment back in your hands now? Or is the buyer sending you all these pics and this information?

appiah4 wrote:

Here are some really detailed closeups of the front of the card. The only damage I can see is superficial chipping to one of the TMU's sides..

It might be the light or the angle, but 3rd pic bottom 2 corners, some legs seem to not go anywhere? Worth a check.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All the images and videos were sent by the buyer to me. I have refunded him and the card is on its way back to me, should be in my hands tomorrow.

The legs seem attached to the PCB, the angle is misleading but I will visually inspect tomorrow.

I will test it on multi and single texture apps as recommended. The issue in my mind is the PC I have set up atm is a Voodoo 3 AGP, if I add this and install the drivers would they conflict? Also how do I make sure the game runs on the V2 and not V3?

Reply 9 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
anthony wrote:

connect monitor directly to v2 and test it in dos

I'll add the card as a PCI, do the passthrough, boot to MSDOS with a Win98SE boot disk, then run a DOS Glide game from the hard drive.

What games should I use? GLQuake for multitexture I suppose, what about single texturing?

Reply 11 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The card is now in my hands. At two points, two of the legs looked slightly bent and dangerously close (although not in contact as far as I could tell), one of them was on a TMU and the other was on the pixel processor. I straightened both.

There is also some chipping on one of the TMUs, I don't know how critical this is but I have a feeling that if this were to cause an issue it would have been more severe? Or could this be the reason and the card is toast? (Maybe I can use it as a single TMU card, a faster Voodoo 1 if you will, via some registry settings?)

20170728_121843.jpg
Filename
20170728_121843.jpg
File size
3.81 MiB
Views
File license

I still think it's a RAM thing though, the STB board uses 90MHz ram running at 90MHz so it has very little room for silicon degradation, I have a feeling running it at 80MHz would fix most issues. Plan is to add the card to my PIII tonight, boot to MSDOS via Win98 boot disk, run Descent II D2_3dfx..