VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So after all the trouble (and money) I went through getting an LCD that worked really well for retro-gaming I went out and bought a CRT anyway... I can't say why exact but I'm sure many of you already know.

In any case, the CRT monitors that I had 10+ years ago ultimately stopped working or had very glitched out pictures/lines that led me to throw them away. This happened with a fancy black high-res NEC that I had (which was a big 22 or so inch I think) and later to a Dell CRT from 98 (which lasted longer).

What sort of things should one do to care for a CRT monitor and make it last as long as possible? Feel free to list off no-brainer things as well... I won't be offended. Also, if you've had your monitor serviced (or done it yourself) please share your experiences as well.

I don't think the one I bought it anything too fancy (no Trinitron) but it was a cheap local pickup and they tend to be rare around here now so I went for it. It's a 19" KDS XF-9S Xtreme Flat.

Reply 1 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a few basic things I can think of:
-keep it plugged into a surge protector
-physically turn it off when you're not sitting in front of it.
-wipe it down and keep it dust-free
-degauss it every once in awhile if it has that option

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Some more things to note from someone that repairs CRTs.

Unplug it when not in use.
Keep the contrast and brightness as low as possible.
Dont power it off and on regularly. If your going to be away from it for 10 minutes leave it on.
Never use windex or a similar cleaner on the screen as it will eat the anti static coating

Reply 3 of 8, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
Some more things to note from someone that repairs CRTs. […]
Show full quote

Some more things to note from someone that repairs CRTs.

Unplug it when not in use.
Keep the contrast and brightness as low as possible.
Dont power it off and on regularly. If your going to be away from it for 10 minutes leave it on.
Never use windex or a similar cleaner on the screen as it will eat the anti static coating

Thanks. I did used to use windex on my old CRTs back in the day... though I sprayed it on a cloth and not the screen itself.

Maybe because this monitor (although it's from 2005) is already burning out... but I actually need to keep it on max brightness and contrast or it is just too dim.

I'll keep it mind to avoid powering it on/off too much and to unplug it -- thanks.

I know there are people around here (NY) who repair TVs ... including CRTs... though I suppose it's a different set of skills or parts for monitors.

Reply 4 of 8, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In any case, the CRT monitors that I had 10+ years ago ultimately stopped working or had very glitched out pictures/lines that led me to throw them away. This happened with a fancy black high-res NEC that I had (which was a big 22 or so inch I think) and later to a Dell CRT from 98 (which lasted longer).

Perhaps you could get them fixed. I had one CRT that you had to hit it from the top to get it working. After the case cracked from constantly smashing it I decided to actually fix the problem. All I had to do was to re-solder all the soldering points on the PCB attached to the CRT tube. (careful: that's a high-voltage circuit, read how to discharge it first before disassembling)

Reply 5 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

CRT TVs and monitors armt all that different when it comes to repairs.
That being said. If the tube it realy dim or the color is off you can use a tube rejuvenator to fix it, or brake it if your not careful. Also make sure your VGA voltage is right. Some monitor have a setting to change input voltage from the vga port, if its to lower it will dim the screen.

And dont use windex even on a cloth to clean it.
As for not powering it on and off regularly, the tube is like a light bulb, the heat from use and cooling after words is hard on it. Find your monitors warm up time, usually between 10-30 minutes. If your going to be away from the monitor for less then its wram up time dont power it off.

Reply 6 of 8, by Dude111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
Just a few basic things I can think of: -keep it plugged into a surge protector -physically turn it off when you're not sitting […]
Show full quote

Just a few basic things I can think of:
-keep it plugged into a surge protector
-physically turn it off when you're not sitting in front of it.
-wipe it down and keep it dust-free
-degauss it every once in awhile if it has that option

Indeed so....I love my CRTs 😀