VOGONS

First post, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Edit: For anything that seems out of place keep in mind this is a copy of the same thing on Reddit.

Found an old 8800GTS in a lot of cards I bought off eBay. It turns out back then XFX has this thing called a "Double Lifetime Warranty" which means its covered for the life of the original owner and the second owner. This card was built over a decade ago. There RMA system doesn't even recognize the cards serial number so I actually had to send a message to there help desk to register it. I thought you guys might find this interesting as a look into the integrity of a company that is known for there lifetime warranty's that at one point was there main appeal. There's no reason they shouldn't accept an RMA on this card if the theory of a lifetime warranty is to hold up and be literally interpreted.

On going report from this line on:

8/6/17: Sent message to XFX Helpdesk to register the cards serial number so I can request an RMA. Haven't heard back as of original posting.
8/7/17: Messaged XFX Rep/Employee /u/Markareg
8/7/17: Above mentioned rep has private messaged me and commented on this post. Have sent pictures of card and requested information.
8/7/17: RMA Approval Received.

Last edited by TheAbandonwareGuy on 2017-08-08, 02:10. Edited 3 times in total.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1 of 54, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, what a dumb thing to do. They typically warrant these things for the lifetime of the product. Which means that even if it ever needs replacement, I doubt you'll get them to replace it for you, or even if they will, they probably have no stock available to replace it with.

Reply 2 of 54, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kode54 wrote:

Wow, what a dumb thing to do. They typically warrant these things for the lifetime of the product. Which means that even if it ever needs replacement, I doubt you'll get them to replace it for you, or even if they will, they probably have no stock available to replace it with.

They describe the warranty as "Its warranted for your lifetime, and the lifetime of the second owner"

In theory that means until I die its under warranty. If i wanted to be an obtuse ass and waste far more money than the card is worth its probable I could get them on breach of contract if they refuse to honor it.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 3 of 54, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, good luck, have fun.

Here's someone trying to do the same thing as you, in 2012, and they were told that the card was out of its "two year warranty" and there was "nothing they could do". They're still waiting for word back on the alleged Double Lifetime Warranty, a service that they discontinued even as far back as 2012.

Go ahead and hire a lawyer and sue them for breach of contract, though. You may spend more on the legal battle than you'll ever get back in the worth of the card, but for you, it sounds like only the principle matters.

Reply 4 of 54, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kode54 wrote:

Well, good luck, have fun.

Here's someone trying to do the same thing as you, in 2012, and they were told that the card was out of its "two year warranty" and there was "nothing they could do". They're still waiting for word back on the alleged Double Lifetime Warranty, a service that they discontinued even as far back as 2012.

Go ahead and hire a lawyer and sue them for breach of contract, though. You may spend more on the legal battle than you'll ever get back in the worth of the card, but for you, it sounds like only the principle matters.

For the record: I HAVE NO INTENTION OF SUING ANYONE. I was just saying if I wanted to make it a matter of principle I likely have a good basis.

I have a feeling whether or not this works will depend largely on the employees handling the request as I doubt they have an official policy on something as rare as what I'm trying. This is mostly a test of the company's integrity. I'm wondering if they ever intended to actually honor these warranties when they first implemented them.

Reply 5 of 54, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I seen this done before, they will do one of two things, ether give a cable company like reply as why they dont need to honor the warranty, or give you ether sone old card or a card of equal value when bought new.

Reply 6 of 54, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose a card of equal value would be any old model that at one point had the same MSRP. They're probably going to have great difficulty finding anything even two years old, though. Not expecting much.

Interested to see exactly how they respond.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 54, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
firage wrote:

I suppose a card of equal value would be any old model that at one point had the same MSRP. They're probably going to have great difficulty finding anything even two years old, though. Not expecting much.

Interested to see exactly how they respond.

EVGA has a stock of old cards going all the way back to the FX5200 for RMA's. Maybe XFX is the same. I know EVGA will give you a new card of the same or close to same MSRP when the card was new if they don't have a direct replacement.

So say you have a 8800gtx, you may get a 980gtx or something from EVGA. Or maybe a 780gtx or 680gtx. You never quite know. I would not be surprised if they gave you a newer low end card like a 750ti

Ether way Id like to see the outcome of this.

Reply 9 of 54, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried to use Corsair life time warranty on DRAM modules. I got an RMA number on an old PC3200 DDR1 stick, but they requested I supply proof of purchase. Since I bought it used I didnt have that, and I guess that is the way they hinder 9 out 10 RMA on life time warranty. They told me they could not do direct replacement, would have to be of a modern product of similar product category.

I do have all my receipts as far back as 1999 for my computer stuff, so if I had bought it they couldn't have dodged it.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 54, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is typically a catch in the fine print where it is the "lifetime" of the product, not your personal lifetime. Lifetime of the product is defined however they want, but typically is when they stop manufacturing it, or maybe a couple years after that.

I've also seen "limited" lifetime warranty which has other hooks in it.

They may ask for a receipt (as mentioned) and that is usually their "out".

Last edited by r.cade on 2017-08-07, 15:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 54, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

EVGA has a stock of old cards going all the way back to the FX5200 for RMA's. Maybe XFX is the same. I know EVGA will give you a new card of the same or close to same MSRP when the card was new if they don't have a direct replacement.

So say you have a 8800gtx, you may get a 980gtx or something from EVGA. Or maybe a 780gtx or 680gtx. You never quite know.

I believe that; the good word of mouth from their hassle free warranty has been the core of EVGA's marketing strategy in the past.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 12 of 54, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know. I sorta also started a social media firestorm on the PCMasterRace subreddit.

Anywho, I found an XFX Rep on Reddit and I messaged him to see what the proper procedure is.

Reply 13 of 54, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

So say you have a 8800gtx, you may get a 980gtx or something from EVGA. Or maybe a 780gtx or 680gtx. You never quite know.

I believe that; the good word of mouth from their hassle free warranty has been the core of EVGA's marketing strategy in the past.

Funny. eVga burned me on the warranty. We bought a GeForce 6600 256MB PCI-E back in 2005. About a year later the fan stopped working. I had registered for the warranty, etc., so I called eVga and they said that it covered the PCB and not the fan.

I'm still annoyed by that...

Directly on topic, though, I suspect that you would need to prove that you are the second owner of the card. The "Double" lifetime warranty is probably contingent on there being a connection between the first and second purchaser.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 14 of 54, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

A place I worked at was burned bad by EVGA. They had a lot of EVGA cards and motherboards in their systems and when EVGA change up there warranty system back in I think 2009 some how all the warranty's become null and void, sadly most died do to bad caps, EVGA was well know for using shit for caps back in the day. Over a 100 boards and a hand full of cards and not one warranty was honored. Even to this day EVGA denies that they used bad caps in there older AMD boards.

In fact EVGA has a bad track record of canning warranty clams for all sort of dumb reasons, then going out of there way to quickly and quietly silencing the buyer. I seen a case were someone was denied a RMA do to water damaged on the card, the buyer had a lot of photos before hand of the card to prove there was no water damage and went public. EVGA changed the S/N on his account and posted photos of a different card. Another similar case was were a EVGA water block O-ring failed, EVGA denied the RMA because of water damage and held the card ransom for the return shipping.

The place I worked at went public too, EVGA sent them a cease and desist order for slander 🤣

I bought two B Stock 295's form EVGA and they arrived dead and would not take it back or anything.
I spoke out about it on the EVGA forms, stated the facts and posted the emails I got and nothing more.
The accounts was banned posts edited. They even called my ISP and reported me for harassment of all things.

Oddly enough I hear almost nothing back good things from EVGA.

r.cade wrote:

They may ask for a receipt (as mentioned) and that is usually their "out".

Not hard to fake one, not right to do and I would recommend against it.

Reply 15 of 54, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
kode54 wrote:

They describe the warranty as "Its warranted for your lifetime, and the lifetime of the second owner"

In theory that means until I die its under warranty. If i wanted to be an obtuse ass and waste far more money than the card is worth its probable I could get them on breach of contract if they refuse to honor it.

Your theory is flawed.

The lifetime refers to the lifetime of the product, not YOUR lifetime. That is a very nebulous definition, but usually 5 years.

Edit: Nice, apparently based on your Reddit post history you also abuse RMA's as well. No wonder sh1t costs so much.

Reply 16 of 54, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
dexvx wrote:

Your theory is flawed.

The lifetime refers to the lifetime of the product, not YOUR lifetime. That is a very nebulous definition, but usually 5 years.

Not always, some times its it the life time of the owner. But not all to often.

Reply 17 of 54, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Your theory is flawed.

Not always, some times its it the life time of the owner. But not all to often.

It's explicit for XFX:

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/support/xfx-warranty

XFX GeForce GT 640, GT 630, 520, GT 430, 200, 9000, 8000, 7000, 6000 Series Graphics Cards purchased after April 17, 2007.

2 Year Standard - Limited Lifetime with registration within 30 days of purchase.

5 Year (3+2) Limited Warranty for defects or failure in the cards Fan(s).

The limited hardware warranty on products qualifying for the 3+2 warranty begins on the date of purchase. A copy of the dated original proof of purchase must be submitted to verify warranty repair or replacement. In circumstances where the transaction record is not available or reasonably verifiable (based on date of manufacture), the standard 3+2 year warranty period shall begin on the date of manufacture of the product. After 3 years the warranty only covers failures in the fans on the graphics cards.

Furthermore you are required to register within 30 days of purchase (or rather the original owner). He's trying to cause a ruckus and hopefully get free shit.

Reply 18 of 54, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

And people wonder why companies are so rude these days concerning warranty issues, it's people like you that try to abuse the system in their favor. Life time warranty is based on the economical lifetime (2 years by European law) expected time of failure or ceased functionality (5-10 years). 10 Years for a graphic card is pushing it beyond it's expected lifespan. I believe 5 should be max considering caps and fans.
Also warranty only applies when the object has been properly maintained, can you prove this?
Are you the second owner? Prove it. Do you have original receipt, doubt it (unless printed with good ink and high quality paper the original receipt is untrustworthy) Those are the first 2 things they will request off they respond at all, they are laughing at you for trying.

Reply 19 of 54, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Richo wrote:

And people wonder why companies are so rude these days concerning warranty issues, it's people like you that try to abuse the system in their favor. Life time warranty is based on the economical lifetime (2 years by European law) expected time of failure or ceased functionality (5-10 years). 10 Years for a graphic card is pushing it beyond it's expected lifespan. I believe 5 should be max considering caps and fans.
Also warranty only applies when the object has been properly maintained, can you prove this?
Are you the second owner? Prove it. Do you have original receipt, doubt it (unless printed with good ink and high quality paper the original receipt is untrustworthy) Those are the first 2 things they will request off they respond at all, they are laughing at you for trying.

They've already helped me get the serial number in the systems and the card is now registered. I've got a support ticket under way and am in communication with a rep. It has also been confirmed that in N. America the warranty is the lifetime of the two owners.

Check first post for more details.