VOGONS

Reply 20 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Richo wrote:

And people wonder why companies are so rude these days concerning warranty issues, it's people like you that try to abuse the system in their favor. Life time warranty is based on the economical lifetime (2 years by European law) expected time of failure or ceased functionality (5-10 years). 10 Years for a graphic card is pushing it beyond it's expected lifespan. I believe 5 should be max considering caps and fans.
Also warranty only applies when the object has been properly maintained, can you prove this?
Are you the second owner? Prove it. Do you have original receipt, doubt it (unless printed with good ink and high quality paper the original receipt is untrustworthy) Those are the first 2 things they will request off they respond at all, they are laughing at you for trying.

They've already helped me get the serial number in the systems and the card is now registered. I've got a support ticket under way and am in communication with a rep. It has also been confirmed that in N. America the warranty is the lifetime of the two owners.

Check first post for more details.

Yeah, Lifetime warranty in the USA is for as long as you own it. No limitations whatsoever past that except for physical damage caused by the customer.

It is always a crapshoot on whether or not computer parts mfgs will honor that though.

I buy lifetime warranty auto parts when available. You have the same vehicle 50 years later, you can get a free replacement if it breaks provided the company that sold it to you is still in business.
And to top it off, a receipt is not required. Stupid thermal receipts don't last more than a couple years even if kept in a storage bin and out of the light. I just go in, they look up my name and vehicle, check to see if I actually bought that part and the screen also shows them the warranty for the part. Then they just swap it out.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 54, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
A place I worked at was burned bad by EVGA. They had a lot of EVGA cards and motherboards in their systems and when EVGA change […]
Show full quote

A place I worked at was burned bad by EVGA. They had a lot of EVGA cards and motherboards in their systems and when EVGA change up there warranty system back in I think 2009 some how all the warranty's become null and void, sadly most died do to bad caps, EVGA was well know for using shit for caps back in the day. Over a 100 boards and a hand full of cards and not one warranty was honored. Even to this day EVGA denies that they used bad caps in there older AMD boards.

In fact EVGA has a bad track record of canning warranty clams for all sort of dumb reasons, then going out of there way to quickly and quietly silencing the buyer. I seen a case were someone was denied a RMA do to water damaged on the card, the buyer had a lot of photos before hand of the card to prove there was no water damage and went public. EVGA changed the S/N on his account and posted photos of a different card. Another similar case was were a EVGA water block O-ring failed, EVGA denied the RMA because of water damage and held the card ransom for the return shipping.

The place I worked at went public too, EVGA sent them a cease and desist order for slander 🤣

I bought two B Stock 295's form EVGA and they arrived dead and would not take it back or anything.
I spoke out about it on the EVGA forms, stated the facts and posted the emails I got and nothing more.
The accounts was banned posts edited. They even called my ISP and reported me for harassment of all things.

Holy crap! I haven't heard of anything like that but that's just crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 22 of 54, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

It doesn't happen often with evga but when it does its bad. The bad caps on the other hand is well know. Older amd boards and gf7 cards used junk caps that blew and the reps openly denie it. I dont know how they can do that, just look at a old card abd your see the evidence.

Reply 23 of 54, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Yeah, Lifetime warranty in the USA is for as long as you own it. No limitations whatsoever past that except for physical damage caused by the customer.

It is always a crapshoot on whether or not computer parts mfgs will honor that though.

It most definitely is not. I had a XFX 7950GT (new retail from Newegg) that broke and they did not honor it 3 years later.

Of course, at the time, I didn't post on PCMR or any other social media to purposefully draw attention to the subject.

Reply 24 of 54, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My brother got a couple of consecutive 8800GT replacements out of EVGA, but that was back in 2008-2010. Those cards seemed to die because of their single slot cooler and operation at over 100 °C IIRC. Those nasty thermal cycles probably didn't help the flawed solder last.

Good luck. 😀

I actually just pulled a 8600GT out of service last week. It has finally started to artifact and BSOD. Replaced it with a cheap low-end Kepler-based card.

Reply 25 of 54, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

It most definitely is not. I had a XFX 7950GT (new retail from Newegg) that broke and they did not honor it 3 years later.

Of course, at the time, I didn't post on PCMR or any other social media to purposefully draw attention to the subject.

That's not the idea but if someone fails to honor there warranty they should certainly be brought to light.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 26 of 54, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*posts to Twitter* WAH WAH $vendor WON'T HONOR THE WARRANTY ON THIS 11 YEAR OLD DEAD VIDEO CARD I BOUGHT FOR TEN BUCKS ON EBAY! NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN!

*receives a million retweets*

*$vendor goes out of business*

Reply 27 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kode54 wrote:

*posts to Twitter* WAH WAH $vendor WON'T HONOR THE WARRANTY ON THIS 11 YEAR OLD DEAD VIDEO CARD I BOUGHT FOR TEN BUCKS ON EBAY! NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN!

Did you even read the rest of the thread?

While I agree that it is not really good business to RMA something that you bought broken, the mfg never mentions anything about said situation in their DOUBLE LIFETIME warranty text.

Really, what does it matter if it was dead when the second owner bought it or if they bought it working and then it broke? Really nothing. It should still be under warranty either way AS THE CARD WAS SOLD UNDER THOSE WARRANTY TERMS.

Now if they do not honor the warranty, then they deserve all the flaming they get however they get it. It would definitely not be a first time event. It has been happening for years.

When ASUS tried to pull the same thing on me a second time, I made it very public how they were acting. Still took me months to get a fully working motherboard.

The first time they pulled that crap, I contacted the original seller, Newegg, and asked them what could be done about it. They gave me a full refund for a motherboard I had purchased 2 years prior because of ASUS' idiocy.

I have absolutely no qualms when people bring a storm upon a company for not honoring their warranties. These companies count on people giving up and a lot of the time the only way to get them to do what they should be doing is to go very public with their crap.

You can only get them to do what they should when they see that it will end up hurting their profits if they don't.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28 of 54, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, I just don't trust social media to give me opinions on anything useful. Or product reviews. For me, buying hardware has mostly been luck of the draw and throwing darts at a board covered with vendor names. I haven't had any trouble with this method, although I cannot recommend it.

The only failure I've had with an Asus video card was when I spent a whole month stressing it to 100% utilization 24/7, before it eventually started showing glitched polygons and locking the machine up. I RMAed it and got a replacement when they found another of the same model within a month. By all your accounts, I am within the right as well.

Reply 29 of 54, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The stakes are very low, though. It's a small opportunity for XFX to do something for a little bit of good PR, mainly because warranties like that are so rarely honored at all.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 30 of 54, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just received RMA approval.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 31 of 54, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I'm both surprised and amused. Will be interesting to see if you receive a NIB one, some B-Stock or refurbished, or something just "close enough".

Did they tell you what you'll be receiving?

Reply 32 of 54, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
x0zm_ wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I'm both surprised and amused. Will be interesting to see if you receive a NIB one, some B-Stock or refurbished, or something just "close enough".

Did they tell you what you'll be receiving?

Not yet. Might be a week or two before I can mail it in also due to being a broke high school student. I'm assuming based on statements made by the rep that I'll bet a similar card of the vintage (8800/9800/GTS 250 etc)

Reply 33 of 54, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if they kept some scratch and dent cards around for warranty replacements and never bothered to ditch them.

With the internet being what it is today they sure won't send you a new model because once word got out everybody and their grandmother would send dead cards in to collect.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 35 of 54, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Really, what does it matter if it was dead when the second owner bought it or if they bought it working and then it broke? Reall […]
Show full quote
kode54 wrote:

Really, what does it matter if it was dead when the second owner bought it or if they bought it working and then it broke? Really nothing. It should still be under warranty either way AS THE CARD WAS SOLD UNDER THOSE WARRANTY TERMS.

I have absolutely no qualms when people bring a storm upon a company for not honoring their warranties. These companies count on people giving up and a lot of the time the only way to get them to do what they should be doing is to go very public with their crap.

You can only get them to do what they should when they see that it will end up hurting their profits if they don't.

Terms also clearly state that you need to register within 30 days of buying (by the original owner). OP clearly stated in a previous post that he had to get the rep to do so, AFTER THE FACT. "They've already helped me get the serial number in the systems and the card is now registered." So you need to reread this thread. The only reason this is even being processed is because of this manufactured sh1tstorm on social media.

This drives the cost of their sh1t up for everyone else. I will now avoid XFX cards (unless at a firesale) because I don't want to be subsidizing people that abuse warranties. I would rather have them spend the money on R&D to make better products.

Reply 36 of 54, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

Terms also clearly state that you need to register within 30 days of buying (by the original owner). OP clearly stated in a previous post that he had to get the rep to do so, AFTER THE FACT. "They've already helped me get the serial number in the systems and the card is now registered." So you need to reread this thread. The only reason this is even being processed is because of this manufactured sh1tstorm on social media.

This drives the cost of their sh1t up for everyone else. I will now avoid XFX cards (unless at a firesale) because I don't want to be subsidizing people that abuse warranties. I would rather have them spend the money on R&D to make better products.

Was that what the terms stated back in 2007 when the contract would've been made? We'll see.

You know crap about what you're subsidizing when you buy stuff from a company, anyway. Warranty claims are better than a CEO's gambling habit. 😁

Last edited by firage on 2017-08-08, 18:47. Edited 1 time in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 37 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Really, what does it matter if it was dead when the second owner bought it or if they bought it working and then it broke? Reall […]
Show full quote
kode54 wrote:

I've got an 8800Ultra that I bought used off of eBay a while ago. XFX registered it for me as well. They had to do it manually because the older cards are no longer even in their system.

They wouldn't even have a way to check if the card was registered by the original owner.

So you are going to avoid a company that actually stands behind their products? Really? I try to only buy from companies that have great after-sales support.

Such as:
XFX
Logitech
Saitek
Visiontek

The ones I try to avoid because of either horrible warranty service or horrible designed products that die right after the warranty expires are:
ASUS - depends on the facility you send the RMA to. There is at least 1 absolutely disastrous one in the US. I've given them multiple chances. Never again until I hear that they have done a complete 180 in how they operate.

Netgear - $150 router that died about 2 weeks out of warranty. I open it up to find out what the problem was and found that the heatsink to cool the main chip was held on by a single through the board post. The solder had cracked and the heatsink swung out of place. And to top it off, the placement was so horrible that the heatsink, even when in the proper place, only covered about 50% of the chip. The only thing I will buy from them anymore is their small switches.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 38 of 54, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some companies will go out of their way to help customers, and some will forget they even made something a few years ago let alone support it.
You can't even get drivers for Linksys PCI network cards on their site (probably have to thank Cisco and Belkin for that).

BFG made decent cards with a lifetime warranty... so much for that.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 39 of 54, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

I've got an 8800Ultra that I bought used off of eBay a while ago. XFX registered it for me as well. They had to do it manually because the older cards are no longer even in their system.

They wouldn't even have a way to check if the card was registered by the original owner.

Ok my bad, so I guess XFX can't properly maintain a database server.

cyclone3d wrote:

So you are going to avoid a company that actually stands behind their products? Really? I try to only buy from companies that have great after-sales support.

There's multiple questions there so:
1. Yes and No, because it's a complicated question. (see below).
2. Yes. really.
3. After-sales support is different from standing behind their products. Asus has terrible after-sales support, but they stand behind their products.

I expect the company to stand behind their products within a reasonable timeframe (3 years for most computer parts). I do want them to RMA 10+ year old products because it adds absurd costs to them. The absurd costs HAS to be passed on to their current customers (similar to how pensions drag down a lot of companies past their prime). That means if you're buying an XFX video card at the same price as another brand (say Sapphire), in order to maintain the same margins, they have to skimp somewhere.

cyclone3d wrote:

ASUS - depends on the facility you send the RMA to. There is at least 1 absolutely disastrous one in the US. I've given them multiple chances. Never again until I hear that they have done a complete 180 in how they operate.

Which one? I'm trying to get an Asus motherboard repaired 🙁

I think everyone has a good list and a sh1t list. For those wondering, mine are (first hand experience only):

Good:
Gigabyte
Corsair
Microsoft
Sapphire (my R9-280X literally had sparks fly 1m+ away, but they were good about it)

Other:
Asus (they generally make quality products that don't break, but if you're unlucky... whelp...)
Logitech (they have great support, but man, their mice break alot, I've used the G502 and G5)

Last edited by dexvx on 2017-08-08, 19:59. Edited 1 time in total.