VOGONS

First post, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

During my journey building a DOS/Windows 3.11 compatible system with DFP/DVI/HDMI out I ended up with a Matrox (Compaq) G200 PCI with the Matrox (Compaq) Flat panel module & 8 MB extra ram. When using VGA, everything is as expected. Nice Windows drivers, DOS utilities, clear image, etc. But using the DFP out is giving me trouble under DOS. I've updated the card with the latest BIOS (it came with 1.1 which doesn't detect the DFP module, or so it says in the BIOS update readme). Windows 3.11 desktop works through DFP though.

Is it possible to get something to display under DOS? Do I need to activate the DFP somehow? Progbios shows VGA Enabled, but doesn't mention the DFP module. The PanelLink chip on the DFP module is rated as max. 60hz/1280x1024 and the DFP manual mostly mention DOS VESA modes (which are 60hz by default AFAIK). I'm afraid it just ignores all 70hz modes, but Quake at 640x480 doesn't display either.

What I did so far:

• 1. To activate the DFP I ran the DOS based update package. This gave me 1280x1024 under Windows 3.11 through DFP. But under DOS/BIOS screen/games, no image and as far as I can tell, no signal.
  • 2. After that I ran the Windows 95 based update package (used "progbios -i auto" to run it under DOS, latest BIOS released). Now I get to see my bootscreen, although with an ugly purple line at the right screen edge. Windows bootscreen shows too (640x480) with an ugly purple line, Windows desktop works, but nothing under DOS. It looks like there is no signal. No unsupported signal/out of range messages.
Last edited by Rawit on 2017-09-09, 22:11. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube

Reply 1 of 1, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Matrox G200 now gives an image through the Flat Panel add-on. I've installed the latest BIOS on the card and I have an image in pure DOS and DOS games. I have to do further testing, but it seems it doesn't like my TV as a monitor.

Some things I've noticed:
- DOS is diplayed as 640x480@60Hz;
- Mode 13h games are displayed as 640x480@60Hz with top/bottom black borders;
- Speed sensitive game Lotus doesn't slow down on the digital output, it does slow down on VGA on a 60Hz screen however;
- Jazz Jackrabbit still suffers from scrolling issues on digital out;
- The Triton Gravis demo is able to set an exotic resolution of 656x414@70Hz.

YouTube