VOGONS

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

This guy is showing Riva TNT footage and claiming it as 3dfx voodoo 2 sli for views on youtube. He got called out on it in some of the comments but doesn't care enough to change the title. I find this misleading and not a good representation of the 3dfx brand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSKPf4F4Z7g

You can tell by the way he uses 1280x1024 as his resolution and 'default opengl' as the video options. He wrote this in the comments:

"Cheers mate! I'm going to be uncharacteristically honest here - I was almost certain that this was the case. Knowing full well that the V2s only run at 768, I was pretty sure that the (better) Riva was doing the donkey work. I'll have to boot the machine back up and have a tinker. Cheers for dropping by!"

But still, never changed his title.

Reply 2 of 12, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love this!

storm wrote:

Lol I'm checking back after one year and the title / comments are the same. I know you said you were being uncharachteristically honest, but surely you should change the title to 'Half life max settings - Riva TNT' if that's the case?

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 4 of 12, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't trust anyone, especially on the internet. The things people do for validation...

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

look guys! we have've got an 3d-fx voo-doo killer!!1!

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

Can't trust anyone, especially on the internet. The things people do for validation...

Yup...
But do keep in mind that some people are more trustworthy then others 😜

I remembered a video on a supposedly Cyrix 5x86, but from watching the videos (I think he the person had uploaded several on youtube) were in reality a Cyrix MediaGX, not at all a Socket 3 or the real Cyrix 5x86. I found this annoying, just cheap clickbaits. I hope this BS doesn't become a majority, I'd prefer not to have to wade through tons of crap just so I can find the jewels 😵
And if it becomes this bad, then so much for youtube as a source of retrocomputing-information.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 12, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

quake on a 386? I thought even doom ran slow on a 386? Even a fast 468 is not the best for quake.
Whats next, a s3 virge playing the new doom?

Also here are two voodoo2's playing fear 🤣
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0NsY7sBoWQ

Reply 9 of 12, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doing it for views is probably against youtube's tos. The thread title says he's doing it for views, but that seems more a guess than fact. Probably best to contact him directly and make a reasonable case for your viewpoints.

Reply 10 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There used to be Retro City Rampage DOS pre-release videos "running on a 386" but really were dosbox on low cycles with no actual 386 present. Ugly bilinear filtered 320x200 (no doublescan) on 16:10 aspect made it painfully obvious. Bripro should be more careful on who he releases his closed betas to....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

People do this crap on youtube so they can milk ad revenue and sometimes mooch off sponsors when they get lucky, seen it all over the years including sob stories raking up thousands in donations from subscribers at the drop of a hat.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12 of 12, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
quake on a 386? I thought even doom ran slow on a 386? Even a fast 468 is not the best for quake. Whats next, a s3 virge playin […]
Show full quote

quake on a 386? I thought even doom ran slow on a 386? Even a fast 468 is not the best for quake.
Whats next, a s3 virge playing the new doom?

Also here are two voodoo2's playing fear 🤣
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0NsY7sBoWQ

I remember back in the days when many tried to run any games on the Voodoo5 with any sort of tricks even when games required Dx8 hardware. Anyone remember those Half Life 2 or Doom 3 on a Voodoo2 screenshots? 😁
Considering the released date, Doom on a 386 system had more sense.