VOGONS

First post, by adolobe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there anyway to repair a damaged 3DFX Voodoo 5500 card with a damaged connector.

I've attached a photo below and you can see the right edge connector is missing. I'm not sure how it happened as I acquired the card in this condition. I hate to see it go to junk as these are not that common. Does anyone know a method to repair the edge connector or know someone or someplace that can. The board will power up when placed into the computer. Fans will spin but no video out. Tested it with and with out the molex power

IMG_6384.JPG
Filename
IMG_6384.JPG
File size
2.53 MiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo 5500 Damaged
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_6385.JPG
Filename
IMG_6385.JPG
File size
3.1 MiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo 5500 Back
File license

Reply 1 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably fixable but it is likely beyond what most people can accomplish, will need another card (any) to act as a donor for the connector and some very strong adhesive then bodge over to connect the piece electrically. If the rest of the card isn't damaged and it is still actually functional it should work as normal. This is the first of this kind of failure that I've seen in a long time but it is fixable unless the card is bricked from another failure.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if a jeweler would be able to braze across to the new fingers if they were bonded closely enough? Also, would you join using a straight cut like this, or would some other pattern be better for strength?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I would do it get a PCI riser cable and instead of trying to replace the edge of the card I would run jumper wires from the traces that are supposed to go to the missing piece to the cable end of the PCI riser connector

It would be almost impossible to repair the PCB itself and even if you did get it to match up perfectly, the first time you inserted and removed it from a slot it would probably rip off.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 9, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow..... now that's a real shame...

There are about 20 connections to be made so i think it's going to be a real problem to fix that. For the glue i would take an old card, break it into pieces and try several types of glue.
There must be something on the market that really makes it strong again, so i don't think that's the big problem.

But the electrical connections will be a real pita i think.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 9, by adolobe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:
wow..... now that's a real shame... […]
Show full quote

There are about 20 connections to be made so i think it's going to be a real problem to fix that. For the glue i would take an old card, break it into pieces and try several types of glue.
There must be something on the market that really makes it strong again, so i don't think that's the big problem.

Looking at the board it looks like a lot of these connections are ground. Couldn't I just bridge those all to the same ground or does it not work that way in the PCI slot

Reply 6 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
adolobe wrote:
meljor wrote:
wow..... now that's a real shame... […]
Show full quote

Looking at the board it looks like a lot of these connections are ground. Couldn't I just bridge those all to the same ground or does it not work that way in the PCI slot

From the pictures I am looking at, it looks to me like maybe only the two at the very end are ground. The other ones like like they probably go to traces either on the opposite side of the board or to traces in between layers.

Don't bridge anything. You will probably fry the motherboard and maybe the card itself if you do that.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 9, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you will be able to glue on something that will work more then one insertion. Get a PCI extender slot and solder the missing lines to the extender.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 9, by adolobe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I was thinking maybe I could go this route and use one of these PCIe cables cut down top size for the required pins. Plus shorten it to a couple inches and then hopefully it will fold at the end shallow enough the card will set over it. Thoughts?

The only PCI risers I could find are right angles ones that wouldn't work in any of my cases.

pci.jpg
Filename
pci.jpg
File size
43.5 KiB
Views
File license

If I cant get it to work which I really hope I can, then my next option is to make a display with it.
Crossing fingers it works, I would love to have it as a backup to the one I already have

Reply 9 of 9, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That riser idea sounds scary, maybe those contacts are needed.

You could ask osckhar if he can fix it:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de& … 9393&edit-text=
He succesfully repaired Voodoo 5s for some people.