VOGONS

First post, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is what happens when you gamble on a lot of "gold scrap" PC parts. Plus a couple other things.

========================================================================
FOR THOSE THAT WATCHED THE VIDEO
========================================================================

What do you think my chances are of reviving the TNT2 Ultra? I'm not even sure what those yellow components are. Are they MOSFETS? Would something short on the card if those aren't there?

I didn't say it in the video, but for those curious the gold scrap box cost me $48 (only $10 of which was for the item itself...crazy). So I nearly got my money's worth out of the Quadro SDR, but if I can salvage the TNT2 Ultra... It will be a score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 1 of 13, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The yellow components are tantalum capacitors. Good luck!

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 2 of 13, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
slivercr wrote:

The yellow components are tantalum capacitors. Good luck!

OK thank you! Capacitors shouldn't cause a short then if they're knocked off. This is good!

Graphics Card Database

Reply 3 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Frankly, I'm fine with people posting external links, but I'd rather be able to read what a certain thread is about without having to give in to clickbait.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 13, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Frankly, I'm fine with people posting external links, but I'd rather be able to read what a certain thread is about without having to give in to clickbait.

The topic title pretty accurately explains what the thread is about. How much detail do you need?

Graphics Card Database

Reply 6 of 13, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did that seller ship them literally in a box. All rubbing against each other and shit?

Of the times I bought a scrap pile, I've politely asked the seller to just tape some card board around each one. Of course I compensated them for their time/effort. But I figured it was worth it.

I have a working Diamond V770U if you need references on what the components are.

Reply 7 of 13, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:

Did that seller ship them literally in a box. All rubbing against each other and shit?

Of the times I bought a scrap pile, I've politely asked the seller to just tape some card board around each one. Of course I compensated them for their time/effort. But I figured it was worth it.

I have a working Diamond V770U if you need references on what the components are.

Yes that's exactly how he shipped them. After I sent him a message asking to pack the graphics cards safely.

Can I really ding him for it? Probably not. The lot was advertised as "Not working / For parts" so what can I really say about the condition?

If he packed them well the TNT2 Ultra would probably be working. But I'm not afraid of a bit of soldering, at least.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 8 of 13, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be aware those tantalum caps have polarity. If they're installed backwards they'll explode. You'll need to determine which way they were originally installed, but it sounds like dexvx may be able to help or you can try to find a clear picture from other eBay listings or an old review. I have a Diamond V770 but it's not an Ultra, I don't know if it has the same component layout.
Failing that, you'd have to use a multimeter to try to figure out what each pad is connected to.
If you're lucky, you may be able to find replacements on other junk cards or old motherboards. Older cards (ISA-PCI era) tended to use tantalums more often, newer cards basically never have them anymore. I could be mistaken but I don't think there's much of any aging issue with tantalums. They just work until they don't (and they tend to announce their death loud and clear), so I don't think reusing old ones is much of a concern with that type of cap.

My opinion about the seller - yeah it sucks having things shipped this way but I don't think you can really hold it against them since that's (I presume) how it was advertised to be shipped. I didn't see the ad but this is typically how these "gold scrap" lots are presented. If they actually agreed to pad the cards and then failed to do so then that's a legitimate grievance, but if it was an extra request submitted after the purchase, then I don't think you can really consider that binding.

It would have been nice for them to accommodate the request, but the lot was probably already boxed up and ready to ship that way, just barely fitting into the flat rate box that was used. Even ignoring the time, adding padding between the cards would have required a larger (non-flat rate) box which would have changed the shipping expense significantly.
Maybe the shipping rate was inflated (if this was domestic US shipping then I think it was, but I haven't used one of those boxes in a long time). It doesn't really matter though - the total cost is all that matters in the end, regardless of how it's broken down.

Reply 9 of 13, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:
Be aware those tantalum caps have polarity. If they're installed backwards they'll explode. You'll need to determine which way […]
Show full quote

Be aware those tantalum caps have polarity. If they're installed backwards they'll explode. You'll need to determine which way they were originally installed, but it sounds like dexvx may be able to help or you can try to find a clear picture from other eBay listings or an old review. I have a Diamond V770 but it's not an Ultra, I don't know if it has the same component layout.
Failing that, you'd have to use a multimeter to try to figure out what each pad is connected to.
If you're lucky, you may be able to find replacements on other junk cards or old motherboards. Older cards (ISA-PCI era) tended to use tantalums more often, newer cards basically never have them anymore. I could be mistaken but I don't think there's much of any aging issue with tantalums. They just work until they don't (and they tend to announce their death loud and clear), so I don't think reusing old ones is much of a concern with that type of cap.

My opinion about the seller - yeah it sucks having things shipped this way but I don't think you can really hold it against them since that's (I presume) how it was advertised to be shipped. I didn't see the ad but this is typically how these "gold scrap" lots are presented. If they actually agreed to pad the cards and then failed to do so then that's a legitimate grievance, but if it was an extra request submitted after the purchase, then I don't think you can really consider that binding.

It would have been nice for them to accommodate the request, but the lot was probably already boxed up and ready to ship that way, just barely fitting into the flat rate box that was used. Even ignoring the time, adding padding between the cards would have required a larger (non-flat rate) box which would have changed the shipping expense significantly.
Maybe the shipping rate was inflated (if this was domestic US shipping then I think it was, but I haven't used one of those boxes in a long time). It doesn't really matter though - the total cost is all that matters in the end, regardless of how it's broken down.

I agree with everything you said. It sucks but what are you gonna do?

And thanks for the advice. The good thing is I did find some good photos, and the polarity is also marked on the board, so I'm pretty well covered there. The regular V770 seems to use the exact same PCB and components so I might just buy one of those for fairly cheap.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 11 of 13, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://youtu.be/5qN3JD6sNBE

Here's an update for those who are curious if I was able to fix the TNT2 Ultra (Diamond V770U).

For those who'd rather not sit through a video, suffice it to say I was NOT successful. There are a myriad of possible things I might have done wrong, but it's possible the card may simple have never worked in the first place, even before it was damaged in shipping.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 12 of 13, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pixel pipes
in your rage fury maxx review you said you couldnt get nfs4 to run on a geforce 256 - I used to play it one one back in the day

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 13 of 13, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

pixel pipes
in your rage fury maxx review you said you couldnt get nfs4 to run on a geforce 256 - I used to play it one one back in the day

Yeah I have no idea why it wouldn't run.

Graphics Card Database