VOGONS

First post, by zv45beta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently found a PCI Voodoo4 4500 and decided to drop it in the old gaming rig.

I have a KT133-based motherboard inside and an AGP slot populated by a Radeon 7200.

Now, I wanted to play some games with Glide.

1. Should I use the Voodoo4 as my primary video card?
2. If not, can I use it as a passthrough card for Glide games?

I'm running XP SP1 with the latest SFFT 1.9 driver.

Thanks

Main rig: A64 X2 5000+|4GB DDR2|HD 5450|MCP6P-M2+|1.2TB|Win10
Old dev rig: Esprimo E5905|P4 630|2GB DDR2|GMA 950|250GB|Vista SP2
Win3.1 rig: Siemens Pro C6|440LX|PII 300|128MB|Matrox G100|40GB|W3.11
XP rig: IBM S50|P4 3GHz|865G|512MB|82865G|80GB|XP SP3

Reply 1 of 16, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

V4 is a standalone card, no way to hook it up via any sort of pass through cable. the mentioned cards should coexist without issues in one system, but you will either have to switch cables or monitor inputs for glide games.

if I remember correctly, V4 will work ok as a secondary card, but 3dfx tools won't work, but that shouldn't matter much as you should be using Vcontrol anyway.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 3 of 16, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't use it as the primary card. If possible, I'd get a monitor that has two inputs, or a VGA switch for when you want to use Glide. The V4 just isn't a very fast card.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 4 of 16, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Reputator wrote:

I wouldn't use it as the primary card. If possible, I'd get a monitor that has two inputs, or a VGA switch for when you want to use Glide. The V4 just isn't a very fast card.

It's no slouch either as it is as fast or even a bit faster (and with better options like 32bit/AA) as a voodoo3 3500 which is a popular card in retro systems.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 16, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

It's no slouch either as it is as fast or even a bit faster (and with better options like 32bit/AA) as a voodoo3 3500 which is a popular card in retro systems.

It really trades blows with the 3500 from what I've seen. Looking at Phil's benchmarks, there are a number of games where it's actually slower.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 6 of 16, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Reputator wrote:
meljor wrote:

It really trades blows with the 3500 from what I've seen. Looking at Phil's benchmarks, there are a number of games where it's actually slower.

Depends on the game/driver but it's not the point. When v1, v2, v2 sli, v3 2000/3000/3500 all are popular cards for retro systems you can not say that the v4 is not a good choice as a standalone because ''it isn't very fast''.

For a 3dfx card it IS fast and runs every single glide game perfectly fine speedwise. I don't think you need much more for a good retro system.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 16, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

Depends on the game/driver but it's not the point. When v1, v2, v2 sli, v3 2000/3000/3500 all are popular cards for retro systems you can not say that the v4 is not a good choice as a standalone because ''it isn't very fast''.

For a 3dfx card it IS fast and runs every single glide game perfectly fine speedwise. I don't think you need much more for a good retro system.

I'm not in disagreement that it's good for a 3dfx card. Many are content with that. But unless you're building a very specifically Glide-tailored system, for an all-around setup playing D3D & OGL games in 32-bit color and higher resolutions you should have another card with a bit more grunt.

Unless you have a Voodoo 5 that can just do friggin everything.

Otherwise the Radeon he has is MUCH better equipped for the things I'm talking about, and the V4 should only really kick in for that genuine Glide experience. How many Glide games support 32-bit color anyway (genuine question)? I know the Unreal games don't do true 32-bit color in Glide.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 8 of 16, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Reputator wrote:

Unless you have a Voodoo 5 that can just do friggin everything.

I am not sure whether you are serious.

Reputator wrote:

Otherwise the Radeon he has is MUCH better equipped for the things I'm talking about, and the V4 should only really kick in for that genuine Glide experience

Most, if not all 7200 had single data rate memory, they are not much faster than Voodoo4.

Reply 9 of 16, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Reputator wrote:

How many Glide games support 32-bit color anyway (genuine question)? I know the Unreal games don't do true 32-bit color in Glide.

very few - off the bat, I only remember Turok2, and I'm not 100% sure even on that. but it's not a big deal, as you can force 32bit for glide via the control panel.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 10 of 16, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote:

I am not sure whether you are serious.

Yes?

Putas wrote:

Most, if not all 7200 had single data rate memory, they are not much faster than Voodoo4.

Neither of those assertions are true. While DDR cards are certainly harder to find nowadays, they were the flagship cards of ATI's arsenal in their day, and there were two distinct versions of it. SDR was no where close to "most, if not all".

And you can't judge cards a generation apart based on memory type. The R100s introduced a number of technologies that made its use of bandwidth more efficient.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 11 of 16, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Reputator wrote:
Putas wrote:

Neither of those assertions are true. While DDR cards are certainly harder to find nowadays, they were the flagship cards of ATI's arsenal in their day, and there were two distinct versions of it. SDR was no where close to "most, if not all".

I only wonder whether you left out the 7200 name intentionally or because you are realizing your mistake.
Anyway, the OP may specify which memory his card is using.

Reply 12 of 16, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote:

I only wonder whether you left out the 7200 name intentionally or because you are realizing your mistake.
Anyway, the OP may specify which memory his card is using.

Please, could you explain in technical detail what the difference between the "Radeon" and the Radeon 7200 is? (It's a trick question.)

Graphics Card Database

Reply 13 of 16, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original Radeon 7200 indeed is using SDR memory and is clocked rather low (155 MHz). It is kinda hard to find... at least I have never seen one outside of photos. Anyway the problem is in current drivers, all R100 based cards were renamed to Radeon 7200 series, which is quite a mess.

This table should make things clear (source http://pctuning.tyden.cz/hardware/graficke-ka … ogies_2?start=2)
Radeon VIVO...183MHz...64MB DDR
Radeon DDR...166-183MHz...32-64MB DDR
Radeon SDR...160MHz...32-64MB SDR
Radeon LE...148MHz ...32MB DDR
Radeon 7200...155MHz...64MB SDR

Anyway - according to my tests, even R100 Radeon SDR is faster than Voodoo4... in 32-bit mode it is quite significant lead (almost matching Voodoo5).

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 14 of 16, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote:
The original Radeon 7200 indeed is using SDR memory and is clocked rather low (155 MHz). It is kinda hard to find... at least I […]
Show full quote

The original Radeon 7200 indeed is using SDR memory and is clocked rather low (155 MHz). It is kinda hard to find... at least I have never seen one outside of photos. Anyway the problem is in current drivers, all R100 based cards were renamed to Radeon 7200 series, which is quite a mess.

This table should make things clear (source http://pctuning.tyden.cz/hardware/graficke-ka … ogies_2?start=2)
Radeon VIVO...183MHz...64MB DDR
Radeon DDR...166-183MHz...32-64MB DDR
Radeon SDR...160MHz...32-64MB SDR
Radeon LE...148MHz ...32MB DDR
Radeon 7200...155MHz...64MB SDR

Anyway - according to my tests, even R100 Radeon SDR is faster than Voodoo4... in 32-bit mode it is quite significant lead (almost matching Voodoo5).

This was quite intentional. They were ALL retroactively renamed to the 7200 in 2001. The card you're referring to was an OEM card for system builders, and perhaps the first to be billed NEW as the 7200 in spec lists and documentation. I own one, in fact, and they're actually not that hard to find.

But technically it is correct to refer to them all as 7200, or Radeon, interchangeably.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 15 of 16, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

Oh yes, under these settings Voodoo4 is getting trounced, as she always did. I was wrong in that regard, somehow I forgot that.

Reply 16 of 16, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the OP already has the Voodoo4, then I suppose it's fine to use it, although it will probably bottleneck the system, depending on the games they wish to play. Voodoo4 is indeed trading punches with a Voodoo3 and higher clocked Athlon CPUs (1GHz+) are much more at home with something like the Voodoo5, GeForce2 etc.

Personally, I love high resolutions, MSAA and even better SSAA Anti-Aliasing and a sustained 60fps minimum (I play on a CRT 😀 ), so I always tend to use insanely powerful GPUs on far slower CPUs (GeForce 5900 Ultra on Tualatin 1.4). I don't think a lot of people have these requirements however, I've seen people enjoy playing at 640x480 or 800x600 with ~30fps and be overly happy with it, so your mileage may vary.
If the first case sounds like something you'd like, you'd best forget all about the Voodoo4 on that system 😜.