VOGONS

First post, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

~~YES, SOLDERING SKILLS ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS MOD! DO NOT BOTHER UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCED!~~

If you saw my previous thread, you know I received a big package containing, among other things, a working ELSA Gloria II, which is a Quadro SDR based on the NV10. Good card, great find, but not a GeForce 256, and therefore, sadly, not as useful to me in benchmarks.

But rather than spending X amount of months searching and overpaying for the real deal, what if I could modify it into a GeForce 256? I looked up mods for turning GeForces into Quadros, and found this:

http://www.oocities.org/tnaw_xtennis/G-Quadro-2.htm

So simply reversing that would get me a GeForce, right? I had to put it to the test.

For reference, these are the two cards I have that I'll be modifying.

gloriaii_full.jpg

1009120_1006863.jpg

For the Quadro SDR, resistors R557 and R567 have to be changed. Each one moves down to R558 and R568 respectively. (Click to enlarge.)

YLwQqF2l.jpg

The end result should look like this:

FDtt1k3l.jpg

Then on the Quadro2 Pro:

F1JQ3tGl.jpg

Resistor R122 will be moved up to R121, and that's all you have to do!

bp7TEAll.jpg

========================================================================================================================

The results? SUCCESS!

QUUxfkRl.png

In both cases, they're identified as a GeForce, and the drivers make no reference to a Quadro card! This is quite unlike the failed approach of using RivaTuner and modifying the Device ID, which only changes the name of the card (effectively) but is still treated by drivers as a Quadro.

No BIOS flashing or modification necessary. So to keep benchmarks accurate, you will need to clock the newly-made GeForce 256 down from 135MHz core to 120MHz.

For the GeForce2 Ultra, even though it is identified as an Ultra, the clockspeeds are still set to a GeForce2 Ti equivalent. You'll need to overclock the memory to 460MHz from the stock 400MHz, which I believe just about all of them can do no problem.

========================================================================================================================

I didn't do too many benchmarks as the subject of Quadro vs GeForce performance has been covered already and quite extensively by others, but I did do a few for verification purposes:

QEjBPS9l.png
Quadro SDR @ 120MHz core

lPI6ut1l.png
GeForce 256 SDR

PkCuGfDl.png
Quadro SDR @ 120MHz core

NTxX0hRl.png
GeForce 256 SDR

eKCH10sl.png
Quadro2 Pro @ Ultra speeds

ZZeAhx5l.png
GeForce2 Ultra

Quake 3 (1280x1024x32 maxed):
Quadro SDR @ 120MHz: 27fps
GeForce 256 SDR: 31.1fps
Quadro2 Pro @ Ultra: 71.6fps
GeForce2 Ultra: 81.6fps

Doom 3 (640x480 low):
Quadro2 Pro @ Ultra: 17.8fps
GeForce2 Ultra: 17.9fps

As you can see, the 3DMark scores are pretty much a wash. Doom 3 is the same as well. Quake 3 results are a lot more interesting, with significantly improved performance. I'll be doing a lot more tests on my GeForce2 Ultra since I already accumulated tons of test results during its Quadro days, so let me know if you want to see more comparisons of those.

In both cases there are inherent advantages in "downgrading" from Quadro cards. The ELSA Gloria II was equipped with 64MB of memory, twice that of a normal GeForce 256 SDR. The Quadro2 Pro creates a very fancy GeForce2 Ultra with VGA and DVI.

I decided to do this as I was gearing up to try to fix my TNT2 Ultra, and needed some practice at soldering tiny resistors and capacitors (the TNT2 has several knocked off, unfortunately). I noticed my Gloria II also had several resistors and a tantalum cap knocked off, but still worked, and my broken Gloria II had almost all of them still. So I practiced by moving the missing components from my borked Gloria II to my awesome one. After I was successful there, I thought, why not try something crazy?! It always bothered me that my results with the Quadro2 Pro were slightly off from a real GeForce2, and obviously a Quadro SDR has the same problem.

Hope some people found this useful!

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 1 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Quadro2 Pro creates a very fancy GeForce2 Ultra with VGA and DVI.

A lot of OEM GeForce 2 Ultra were with DVI though.

Quake 3 results are a lot more interesting, with significantly improved performance.

What about something like RTWC or Amerikan McGee Alice? Most likely Quake 3 is just a localized oddity which is not worth modding for.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 9, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

The Quadro2 Pro creates a very fancy GeForce2 Ultra with VGA and DVI.

What about something like RTWC or Amerikan McGee Alice? Most likely Quake 3 is just a localized oddity which is not worth modding for.

As I said, my testing wasn't meant to be comprehensive, and really didn't need to be. It's already been done by many others, so if you're looking for the value of doing such a mod (for some reason), then search for those.

My goal is accuracy when presenting the performance of a GeForce2 Ultra, which I'm sad to say wasn't the case in my previous tests. Although in my defense, in all my testing so far (more than I've shown here), D3D titles seem completely unaffected.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 3 of 9, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's probably to do with drivers. No professional apps use Direct3D, so performance there is unaffected.

The preset defaults for OpenGL on the workstation Quadros may default to some higher quality settings compared to the GeForce, thus impacting performance. I think a better way to go is to just use software to change the Device-ID of the Quadro to that of the corresponding GeForce.

Reply 4 of 9, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe just installing GeForce driver manually via device manager could be good enough? I know this worked on FireGL X1 -> R9700 Pro... to some extent at least (OGL driver didn't install for some reason, D3D was ok).

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5 of 9, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:

I think it's probably to do with drivers. No professional apps use Direct3D, so performance there is unaffected.

The preset defaults for OpenGL on the workstation Quadros may default to some higher quality settings compared to the GeForce, thus impacting performance. I think a better way to go is to just use software to change the Device-ID of the Quadro to that of the corresponding GeForce.

havli wrote:

Maybe just installing GeForce driver manually via device manager could be good enough? I know this worked on FireGL X1 -> R9700 Pro... to some extent at least (OGL driver didn't install for some reason, D3D was ok).

It doesn't work. NVIDIA is a bit craftier than that. Quadro was big money for them, so neither the BIOS on the card or even the DeviceID ultimately determines if it's a Quadro. The driver probes some sort of register on the card, open or closed, that is inaccessible by software. This seems to determine if it's a Quadro or a GeForce, and can only be modified by physically altering the card. The driver will even say "GeForce YadaYada" after changing the DeviceID or forcing the installation manually, but you go into the Control Panel and still see Quadro options.

I went through a mini quest of doing exactly the things you guys are talking about before before ultimately having to concede to doing this mod.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 7 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't work. NVIDIA is a bit craftier than that.

It works.
1) Detonators before version 27.xx are hackable by RivaTuner and don't have any protection of DeviceID.
2) Detonators after version 27.xx require NVStrapAntiprotection patch to be applied before RivaTuner installation.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 9, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

What if you override the Quadro's DeviceID using RivaTuner?

Please read earlier posts.

The Serpent Rider wrote:
It works. 1) Detonators before version 27.xx are hackable by RivaTuner and don't have any protection of DeviceID. 2) Detonators […]
Show full quote

It doesn't work. NVIDIA is a bit craftier than that.

It works.
1) Detonators before version 27.xx are hackable by RivaTuner and don't have any protection of DeviceID.
2) Detonators after version 27.xx require NVStrapAntiprotection patch to be applied before RivaTuner installation.

I have not tried #2 and would interested to hear if others have had success doing that, especially with Forceware-era drivers.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 9 of 9, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I myself have a Quadro2 Pro card, this mod looks worth while since im not into quadro cards, but honestly, i would prefer the bios flash route... what i dont understand, from other sites, this same mod in reverse turns a perfectly good gaming ULTRA to a quadro2 pro version, whats the purpose of that?

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se