VOGONS

First post, by gwb21471

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a compaq presario 4704. It was made in 1996 and has a s3 trio64+ in it with 1mb of video memory. I can't do video above 800x600 and it use to do 1024x768 at 16bit color but now it won't do it anymore. it came with windows 95 and i formatted the disk and put windows 98se on it and i found a driver online and updated the driver but still will only do 800x600 16bit color and if i try to set it to 1024x768 it only do 256bit color. I had to stick a newer video card in it to get a higher video setting. But i like to make this computer all original. I have the original monitor and speakers and keyboard and mouse. But with the video card i have in it now all the buttons on the monitor don't work like the volume. If anyone has a idea to fix it. Thank you for the help.

Reply 1 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With 1MB VRAM you can't get 1024x768x16bit, which requires 1.5MB VRAM. If you are sure that you had used 1024x768x16bit before, you can check if the card has another 1MB VRAM seated in two sockets. It's possible that at least one chip isn't working properly.

Reply 2 of 9, by gwb21471

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has two chips solder to the motherboard and it takes a memory card that sits over the video chip on two sets of pins on each sided of the video chip. yes i remember the guy who had this computer be for me having it set to 1024x768x16bit and i had it set to that too. hope the guy didn't have a program on there that made the computer use system memory for the video. thanks for the help.

Reply 5 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gwb21471 wrote:

This has two chips solder to the motherboard and it takes a memory card that sits over the video chip on two sets of pins on each sided of the video chip. yes i remember the guy who had this computer be for me having it set to 1024x768x16bit and i had it set to that too. hope the guy didn't have a program on there that made the computer use system memory for the video. thanks for the help.

Sounds like your board has 1MB VRAM and the card has another 1MB VRAM. Either a chip or two are failing or the contacts of the card went bad.