VOGONS

First post, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a Quadro4 750 XGL a while ago, and finally got time to try it out.

Seems to be something wrong with it. The font is garbled, even during POST, see attached image. Not a good sign. The Windows driver will work in 640x480, 16 colors, with some artifacts. If I try to raise the resolution or color depth, I will only get a black screen with some green spots here and there.

Might also be worth mentioning that the distortion of the letters is exactly the same, even after removing and reseating the card.

Tried reflashing the BIOS in case of data rot, probably the card has beeen lying around for some time before I got my hands on it. No difference.

Any ideas of how to go about this from here?

Attachments

• DSC_0426.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0426.JPG
    File size
    106.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by kaputnik on 2017-08-31, 19:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its dead, just burry it or try some heating to the gpu, but this is still temporary solution. Will die again. About half of mine Quadro cards based on GF4 was dead. They dying same way like modern chips, it only take few more years....

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 4 of 4, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vlask wrote:

Its dead, just burry it or try some heating to the gpu, but this is still temporary solution. Will die again. About half of mine Quadro cards based on GF4 was dead. They dying same way like modern chips, it only take few more years....

Might try reflowing it and hope for the best, if no other answer turns up. With some luck and a more efficient cooling solution than the stock cooler, it could actually be a permanent solution, if the problem really is broken solder joints.

Reballing would of course be a better alternative, but guess it's more or less impossible to find stencils for those old chips.