VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It won't POST anymore -- before that it would drop to black screen only during 3D rendering and was usable for things like web browsing or 2D games. I stripped it down and took a bunch of pictures, removing all the little thermal pads from the chips as well. Before I buy replacement pads and put it all back together I figured I'd post some pictures here -- I don't really know what I'm looking for. I really enjoyed this card with it's 2nd GPU for PhysX... it came bundled with Arkham Aslyum in 2009 and ran that game -- and many others -- amazing.

https://imgur.com/a/ELqKI

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Replacing paste and thermal pads is not going to fix it. At the very least, the GPU itself probably needs to be reflowed.

Way easier and cheaper to just buy a replacement.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought this was an interesting read --

https://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/11/why-nvidi … -are-defective/

I suspect we won't have many lasting, working cards around from the 200 to 500 series of NVidia cards down the line the way we do for early Geforce and Voodoo cards.

Reply 4 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How are Ati/AMD cards of the same era? Anyone got any experiences with these?
I've basically never used an NV card more recent then my AGP 7600GSs and none of the more recent Ati/AMD cards I used, seemed to have ever failed.
Same thing for a friend of mine who also used Ati/AMD PCI-E cards almost exclusively. So far none have failed, not even the ones we both got second hand 😀

I do have a 8800GTS with 320MB laying around, gotten from a friend who upgraded. It was in perfect working condition when I got it, but I never ended up using it as I have better cards with less power hungryness 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to hear about ATI cards from this time period as well -- there was a lot of talk of poor drivers back then but I'm sure that must be irrelevant now... plus it sounds like those might be the only long-term surviving GPUs for XP legacy machines.

Reply 6 of 11, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GTX 200 series are dying quite often... not so surprising considering they are at least 8 years old. HD 4800 are more or less the same. The last (and best) XP compatible GPUs are Nvidia Kepler based cards - they offer the best possible performance and image quality. So in time they might become quite valuable.

DX10 HW in general is not that interesting... there are no special features, everything GTX200 / HD 4800 can do, DX11 HW also can do... and even better. For me the milestones in terms of retro usability are as following:

Voodoo2 = great compatibility with DOS Glide
Voodoo5 = last Glide compatible VGA, great RGSSAA
GeForce FX 5900 = fast angle independent AF for win9x games
GeForce 6800 / Radeon X800 = last win98 compatible VGAs and also last native AGP parts
Radeon X1900 = perfect HQ AF, last GPU supporting 6xMSAA
Geforce GTX 600/700 = last winXP compatible VGAs

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 7 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GTX 200 series are dying quite often... not so surprising considering they are at least 8 years old.

Voodoo cards are even older and we're still able to enjoy them.

I have a 760 GTX in my main machine -- and while it may be compatible with Windows XP I suspect that with the available drivers there will be a good amount of games that won't display correctly. I can't imagine Farcry would like it, for instance.

Reply 8 of 11, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoos are not plagued by the ROHS soldering and they don't use 200+ W of power to run... that is a big difference.

I have GTX 760 as well and it works great in XP... I don't see a reason why games wouldn't display correctly. For example I've played Vietcong and NFS Most Wanted (2006), both running perfectly.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 10 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
havli wrote:

Geforce GTX 600/700 = last winXP compatible VGAs

You can also add last GPU's with CSAA 8xQ and 16xQ support 🙁

SERIOUSLY?! Damn deferred shading to hell. 900 and 1000 series really can't do CSAA??

Reply 11 of 11, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote:

SERIOUSLY?! Damn deferred shading to hell. 900 and 1000 series really can't do CSAA??

I verified with our software team and indeed CSAA has been removed from Maxwell GPUs. Any mixed GPU systems that have both a Maxwell and an older NVIDIA GPU (i.e. Kepler) will also not display CSAA modes.

Source : LINK

157143230295.png