VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to install my drivers on the following system on a clean install of Windows 98SE.

AOpen MX3S
Pentium 3 866MHz
815E chipset
Various Nvidia GPUS on 43.xx drivers.

After I install the chipset drivers, I then do the display drivers, but after the Windows 98 splash screen I get a little red square in the top left of the screen with a green cursor flashing in it. This is the process I am doing:

W98SE installed.
Remove any pre-installed USB "drivers" from within Device Manager. Install USB driver for access to USB memory sticks(which I have on a CD installed), restart
Copy over all drivers from a USB stick. Uninstall USB drivers via Add/Remove Programs. Install Chipset drivers. Restart. Before I reach the desktop it shows it is insatlling a bunch of PCI - IDE drivers, etc. It automatically restart a couple of times here, including after installing Standard VGA adapter, by pointing the installer towards the default windows drivers. Restart once im at the desktop anyway.
Install 43.xx Nvidia Detonator drivers (the one available from Vogons), which is very quick, restart.
Can't reach desktop.

Throughout this process I have an unknown Device that my PC asks for drivers for every time I boot. It is not anything that is on the W98 disk apparently...

What am I doing wrong, because it has to be a driver or conflict issue. I have used this driver, and this card on two other W98SE systems and its been fine.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 2, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a vague recollection of having to catch the boot with F8, force VGA mode, and then set the correct resolution after - but I think that was when the screen cut out due to improper mode... might be worth trying though

Reply 2 of 2, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would it be something to with the integrated graphics getting involved? Is it essential to install the chipset drivers (or alternatively could I just install the AGP inf file?)

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC