VOGONS

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Being aware of the vogons wiki page on ATI cards. There Seems to notes about Radeon 7000 / 8000 / 9000 series cards having issues with Fog Table, 8-bit Paletted Textures, and D3D 5.0 games.

Looks like there is just a few games that work with 8-bit Paletted Textures:

Wiki Page Final Fantasy VII (1998) European Air War (1998) Final Fantasy VIII (2000), optional […]
Show full quote

Wiki Page
Final Fantasy VII (1998)
European Air War (1998)
Final Fantasy VIII (2000), optional

It seems hard to track down games needing D3D 5.0 (would be awesome to find a spreadsheet of games requirements by year. hint hint vogons 😉 )

Since I'm still new to Radeon cards (9800xt owner now). What games are broken/problematic on these cards with fog table and D3D 5.0?

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 1 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Test Drive 5 as the example.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 2D core of the ATI-AGp Cards has several issues. Jerky scrolling in Biomenace is not fixable, volumen-sliders and animations in brainslayer-demos (comademo/friday) are wrong.
Deluxepaint VESA works, qickview 103 has issues when displaying a smaller image then the image before, but in the same resolution (the image displayed before is visable in areas the currently shown image is black)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 3 of 7, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Enable fog table:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ATI Technologies\Driver\0000\atidxhal]

"DisableHierarchicalZ"="0"
"EnableWaitUntilIdxTriList2"="1"
"Vsync"="0"
"DitherAlpha"="1"
"AntiAlias"="0"
"AntiAliasRatio"="512"
"ZFormats"="15"
"ExportCompressedTex"="1"
"TableFogEnable"="1"
"WFogEnable"="1"
"ZFogEnable"="1"
"FastZClearEnabled"="1"
"DisableHyperZ"="0"
"TCL"="1"
"TCLEnableVertexBlend2Optimize"="1"
"TCLEnableVertexBlendUseProjMat"="1"
"TCLEnableBackFaceCulling"="1"
"RasterGuardbandEnable"="1"

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire is D3D 5 and heavily uses fog table. Radeons won't render it. The above hack does work with some Radeons though I'm not sure which (other than R100) and if you need old drivers for it to work.

Reply 5 of 7, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Table fog should be fixed in Catalyst 7.11 on XP.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 6 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But I am using Win98se and Win2k with the catalyst 6.2 (last one I think)
I will checkout the reg-entry matze79 write above. My card is a HIS-Radeon-7000-PCI 64MB.

This card is small, delivers a great vga-signal, has a centered image with VGA-Textmode (DOS) and VGA/EGA lowres gfx-modes. (nice!)

S3tc in UT99 does work OOTB which is great. I will have to checkout the first savage-chip that offers s3tc too and compare these two.
The FX5500 is much faster then the R7000 due to it's faster chip and the 128Bit SI, but I like the radeon more.

Greetings
Doc

Reply 7 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

The 2D core of the ATI-AGp Cards has several issues. Jerky scrolling in Biomenace is not fixable, volumen-sliders and animations in brainslayer-demos (comademo/friday) are wrong.
Deluxepaint VESA works, qickview 103 has issues when displaying a smaller image then the image before, but in the same resolution (the image displayed before is visable in areas the currently shown image is black)

The currently used R7000-PCI has none of that issues and seems to be a very good retro-pci card.

EDIT:
But I had to admit, that currently I have massive slowdowns in some games like Turok3d (d3d). I think it has to do with the missing "fog-table". But I have to investigate that.