VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, like me and others have said before, the following should be pretty good for this system:

Voodoo Banshee PCI < Voodoo2 < Voodoo2 SLI == Voodoo 3 PCI

Riva TNT PCI == Riva TNT 2 M64 PCI (~Voodoo2) < Riva TNT2 PCI (~Voodoo3) < GeForce2 MX 200/400 (~GeForce 256/Voodoo5)

Matrox G200 PCI (somewhat slower than Voodoo2)

PCI variants of popular cards are a bit rarer and certainly more expensive than their AGP counterparts. Keep in mind, all of the above will be much faster than the Verite V2100 and have far more stable drivers and game support. Also, even the fastest K6-III+ at 600MHz, will have a hard time keeping a Voodoo3 or Riva TNT2 busy all the time at realistic resolutions (800x600/1024x768). So, by that logic, a K6-2 500 will be just fine even with a single Voodoo2 or a Riva TNT.
This is because the CPUs are slow and in most games you'll be held back by them(CPU bottleneck). Of course, if you try to play Quake 3 at 1024x768 with everything maxed out, then faster cards will help but still be held back significantly.

So, try to find one of the above cards at a logical price and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the performance over the Rendition card. My guess is that you should be able to find either the Banshee or TNT/TNT2 M64 cards much more easily and much more affordable than the rest.

Reply 21 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to my years of experience in ebay browsing I find Banshee PCI rarer and usually more expensive than Voodoo3 PCI. I would like to rank the PCI cards in the following order based on their price and popularity in retrogaming:
3dfx > TNT/TNT2 > G200/G450 > Rage128/Savage4
Geforce2 MX and Rage128 don't support Windows 3.x, if that's important to you.

Last edited by lazibayer on 2017-10-13, 20:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo3 would be my choice without a second thought. Unless you want to experiment with other hardware.

I suppose a K6-2 500 is indeed very exciting when one upgrades from a Winchip or Cyrix product. 😀

Reply 23 of 24, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't want anything exotic a GeForce 2mx/geforce 4mx440 will be a great card and can be had very cheap, otherwise I like the fx52/5500 cards if you want to hook up DVI.

These cards will be bottlenecked by your CPU.

Reply 24 of 24, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you need a faster CPU with that video card. In glQuake it would probably max out with a PMMX 200 at 640x480, probably similar with Quake II.
With a K6-2 good choices would obviously be Voodoo2 (SLI) or Voodoo 3 (expensive in PCI). (A single Voodoo2 will probably bottleneck the CPU alreaddy.)
A Geforce 2MX should also be fast depending on the game, but is probably harder to get in PCI.