VOGONS

First post, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This topic would discuss the various LCD Monitors with Aspect Ratio controls for various inputs (monitor dependent): VGA, DVI, HDMI, Composite, S-Video, Component.

I have 3 monitors that support aspect ratio control for any of the inputs, or goes from 16:9 or 16:10 to 4:3 ratio respectively.

1) Dell Professional P1911

This monitor has USB 2.0 Ports, a VGA port, DVI-D port, and DisplayPort for laptops or video cards that use the full DisplayPort cable. It swivels left and right, can move it up and down, tilt the screen, even rotate the screen from landscape to portrait to use the screen for writing documents. Has 3 Aspect ratios for the display ports: 4:3 for older systems that don't support wide-screen resolutions from MS-DOS to Windows 9X, 5:4 for certain resolutions higher than 800x600, and 16:10 for resolutions up to 1440x900 for newer Operating Systems from Windows 2000 up to today's Windows OS, including Linux.

Pros:
Aspect ratios are kept during game play or when an OS starts up using the 4:3 or 5:4 ratios without stretching.
USB 2.0 Ports for making it easier to hook up a flash drive without bending down to install one.

Cons:
No speaker system, but Dell did offer a monitor-mounted speaker to be hooked up to the system (sold separately).

2) ASUS VK222H

This monitor has built-in speakers, a Web-Cam (USB port), as well as sound input for the systems that use either VGA or DVI-D while the HDMI has its own sound support (small delay), has aspect ratio controls for VGA as well. Monitor resolution goes up to 1680x1050 for all 3 video ports.

Pros:
HDMI support for gaming systems, Satellite/Cable, or streaming devices.
Integrated speakers and web-cam.
Automatic brightness control.

Cons:
Headphone jack is in the back and longer length cable is a must.
4:3 aspect ratio only works in a GUI OS only, not DOS Prompt (16:10 only) which stretches the display.
Doesn't move, only tilts.

3) Samsung SyncMaster 215TW

This monitor has integrated speakers, VGA, DVI-D, Composite/S-Video, and Component ports for any system, including video game consoles. Supports 4:3 ratio or 16:10 (widescreen) for any of the ports (DVI is automatic depending on the screen resolution). Like the Dell P1911 monitor, it swivels left and right (about almost a full circle), tilts, goes up and down, and also goes from portrait to landscape mode. Also supports Picture-In-Picture when having a PC display (16:10/widescreen mode only) set and the composite/s-video or component device on simultaneously. The headphone port is in the front end of the monitor, unlike the ASUS VK222H and the composite/s-video and component have their own audio inputs via the RCA ports. Supports up to 1680x1050 resolution.

Pros:
Aspect ratio is locked when booting into an OS from MS-DOS to Windows 9X for the VGA port and doesn't stretch.
Integrated Speakers.
Support for older systems using composite/s-video or component, including VCRs, DVD Players/Recorders, Cable/Satellite, and modern gaming systems (HDMI to Component converter is a must).
Picture-in-Picture.
Power switch on the PSU in case the front panel power button stops working or the monitor doesn't turn off.

Cons:
No USB Ports (must've been available on newer models)
Video input is only 480i, but that's no big deal (might support 240p without issues, but I digress).

What are your thoughts? I like the Samsung SyncMaster 215TW since it allows me to hook up my game consoles to the monitor without a special adapter. I'll update the post since I think I mixed up the model of the ASUS monitor.

Also, to be honest, I like using CRTs on older computers instead of the LCD displays because the colors are more vibrant than the LCD (don't have to guess the appropriate color).

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2017-10-10, 19:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1 of 3, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BenQ LCDs offer the best in terms of scalers and aspect ratios. This 2K monitor can do 5:4, 4:3 and 1:1, has VGA and goes up to 144hz. The different aspect ratios or settings can be bound to a single button for quick changing too.

BenQ XL2730 (1440p) -- The perfect retro gaming LCD

Reply 2 of 3, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote:

BenQ LCDs offer the best in terms of scalers and aspect ratios. This 2K monitor can do 5:4, 4:3 and 1:1, has VGA and goes up to 144hz. The different aspect ratios or settings can be bound to a single button for quick changing too.

BenQ XL2730 (1440p) -- The perfect retro gaming LCD

I could go for that monitor, if it wasn't too expensive. That, and my GPU on my 6-core system only supports 1080p unfortunately, but my Xbox One S would be a perfect candidate for gaming. If I find one at a thrift store for a good price, I would take it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3 of 3, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I wish it wasn't so expensive. I personally run my main system on it at 1920x1080 as 2K is too much for my 760 GTX. The reason for going 2K was to have access to 1600x1200.