VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I have a Dell U3014 monitor with a single DVI-D without the 4 pins around the wide pin and im trying to get a windows 98se PC with an AGP VGA card to work with it, I bought a male VGA to female DVI-D (wth the 4 pins around the long pin) converter to pug into the AGP card but my monitor does not detect it while using the DVI-D cable without the four pins around the long pin, I hope this is not double dutch to understand my monitor only has DVI and no VGA thats why the converter.

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DVI-D is digital only.

VGA is analog, which is what the extra pins in DVI-I are for.

You are going to need an active converter to make VGA work with your monitor.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYNDYJW?psc=1

Make sure you get one that converts in the correct direction. A lot of them I saw are to use a vga monitor on a DVI-D equipped computer.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 5, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your monitor is DVI-D only it does not have analog input, so you can't use a VGA to DVI adapter at the monitor to get analog VGA input connector.
That's only possible with monitors that have DVI-I.

DVI-D = digital only
DVI-A = analog only
DVI-I = analog and digital

VGA = analog only

Some video cards have DVI-I output so the adapter you have can convert the analog portion of DVI-I output connector to a VGA output connector so you can use VGA cable to an analog monitor.

Reply 4 of 5, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote:

Some video cards have DVI-I output so the adapter you have can convert the analog portion of DVI-I output connector to a VGA output connector so you can use VGA cable to an analog monitor.

And in such a case the monitor is detected as a VGA monitor, so DVI-I output is really DVI-D and VGA in one socket and no real signal conversion is taking place (it's just a mechanical adapter).

GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Thanks guys for the info what if I used a HDMI to VGA adapter from the monitor, is HDMI analog and digital at the same time?

HDMI is digital only, so your adapter must be real signal converter.