VOGONS

First post, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ATI branded Radeon HD 2900XT 512MB. In 3D, it seems to turn off within a minute into it. No sign of texture corruption during 3D. Temperature sensors are well within normal (<70C GPU). Strangely, the GPU fan won't even rev up hard. And also weird, the card will refuse to POST afterwards for awhile (days). Any ideas why?

I have a Diamond R2900XT and I'm thinking about just flashing the ATI card with the Diamond VBIOS to see if it'll help.

Unless someone has a VBIOS for a built by ATI Radeon HD 2900XT 512MB that they can share? I tried two on TechPowerUp, and they did not work out real well.

Reply 2 of 8, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a very similar issue and it involved power delivery. Everything would run fine until I would run anything in fullscreen.
2900xt actually under-clocks itself by ~30% when in 2D or when running things in windowed mode.
Turned out it was a loose 8pin power plug that worked as a 6pin as a result, so everything would crash when the card would run in fullscreen and demanded more power.

So basically, check your PSU and make sure your cables are plugged in properly.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 3 of 8, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using a Corsair CX750M PSU. It can do 62A on the 12V line, so I don't think it's a power issue. Chassis is an open chassis, so shouldn't be any air flow issues. Cables are plugged in snugly.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series-cx750m … ular-atx-psu-na

Strangely, I have a another Diamond branded 2900XT that also has issues. It can run maybe a couple minutes of 3DMark06, and then freeze up. I ran GPU-Z in the background with logging, and it appears that it crashes around 70C. I'm going to reseat the heatsink on that guy and see if it helps.

Reply 4 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure it's not the 2900xt cards since both act up on the same machine. Try testing them on a different computer, or try another catalyst and chipset driver combination. I've tested my 2900xt on a p35 and nforce 780i boards, it worked fine in either case using the latest driver.

It could still be a power supply issue - I noticed I had stability issues with a brand new sirtec 700W psu while using certain hardware.

Reply 5 of 8, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My "New PSU" came with defective Capacitors.. it was laying around "NEW" in a Warehouse for several Years. 😁

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

My "New PSU" came with defective Capacitors.. it was laying around "NEW" in a Warehouse for several Years. 😁

Same here. Two bloated 1000nf caps inside a brand new PSU. I didn't even have to open it up to see them, they were visible trough the 120mm fan's grill.

Reply 7 of 8, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PSU in particular has powered many other GPU's before (Radeon 4890, GTX 680, 7900 GTX SLI), the most stressful probably 9800 GTX+ in SLI.

However, I will try again, as it has been awhile. Thanks all for suggestions !

Reply 8 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 9800GTX+ SLI setup and it isn't anywhere near as demanding on power as my 4870x2 card.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software