VOGONS

First post, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have finally managed to get both my T3100e and T5100 up and running. The first thing that I wanted to do for a long time was to compare how games look on their screens. T3100 has CGA and monochrome gas-plasma monitor, so four CGA colors are displayed by dithering black and orange dots. T5100 has EGA and gas-plasma monitor with 4 levels of gray (well, orange) and it can run in CGA mode too. Therefore CGA games are displayed more or less "natively", showing four CGA colors mapped to orange levels. However, 16 EGA colors are once again dithered using four available intensities of orange.

T3100e_CGA_T5100_CGA_MetalMutant_01.jpg
Filename
T3100e_CGA_T5100_CGA_MetalMutant_01.jpg
File size
2.61 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

First image above, the rest on Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/OVCm8 (in order not to overload Vogons)

Reply 1 of 2, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work.

What are your opinions on the displays as well as the CGA vs EGA on the T5100 plasma screen? I see the noticeable differences, but I imagine (as with all pictures of a display) it is better to see it in person.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 2, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CkRtech wrote:

Nice work.

What are your opinions on the displays as well as the CGA vs EGA on the T5100 plasma screen? I see the noticeable differences, but I imagine (as with all pictures of a display) it is better to see it in person.

Thanks!

Metal Mutant looks the best on T5100 screen in CGA mode. That's because it then maps 4 colours to 4 intensities and game looks best. EGA mode tries to dither 16 EGA colors to map them onto 4 shades and it looks off. Dithering on T3100 is interesting and actually quite well done - but I'd still go for that CGA version on EGA plasma screen. Personally, I have a soft spot towards dithered CGA, as my first PC was AT with Hercules and I played games using simcga, which dithered CGA colours to display them on monochrome amber screen. So for me playing on T3100 is a bit of a trip down the memory lane. Objectively, though, T5100 screen is superior.

And the best ones are plasma VGA screens on T3200SX and T5200. Sixteen intensities make these EGA and CGA games look good (Loom EGA, for example). I actually played a bit of Wolfenstein, too, just for fun. That said your mileage might vary. Also, when these screens get old and are nearing the end of their life cycle (MTTF for them is about ten thousand hours of operation), they start showing more artifacts, like intensity change based on other pixels in line or column or occasional sparks appearing here and there at random. So plasma screen of older type but well preserved may look better than newer type that has been used a lot and is now slowly nearing end of its life. My T5200 doesn't look that great, despite theoretically being the newest and most advanced (VGA).