VOGONS

First post, by reds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've got a cool mITX board with an Atom 330 CPU(the exact motherboard is foxconn 45csx), and I would like to install Win98SE on it. Only two problems are lack of PATA, and the fact that i couldn't find any drivers for that GMA. Do they even exist, or will I be forced to use 2000 and XP drivers?

Reply 1 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm 90% sure they didn't make 3150 drivers for 98, and Xp drivers won't work under win98. If the motherboard has a PCI or PCI-E slot, you can install a video card with win98 drivers on it. Some boards come with no expansion slots whatsoever, but most have a single PCI slot or at least PCI-E 1x or 4x - you can use a 16x card in a 1x slot if you mod the slot. A PCI-E Geforce 6200, 6600 or similar will work and they have win98 drivers.

Reply 2 of 8, by reds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It has a single PCI slot (occupied by a DS-XG because i love this card and i can't stand HD audio). Even if i would remove the sound card and stick with integrated, i won't have much use for it as not much(if any) VGA cards will support 1280x1024, and i don't want to go lower than that.

So, thanks for replying, i'll be installing some fancy Win2000 on it then! 😜

Reply 3 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are you talking about VGA cards not supporting 1280x1024?

Yes they do. I don't know of ANY newer ones that don't.

As for the really old ones, you just have to have one with enough RAM.. Like 2MB or 4MB.

You can get something like a Geforce FX 5200 or 5500 for pretty cheap.

You could also use a PCI Voodoo 3 card.

Also, SATA works just fine in Windows 98SE.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 8, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since it comes from the chipset, rather than the CPU, it's actually GMA950, but Intel never supported that series on 9x, not even the earlier GMA900 (which was my thought for a possible hack)

Reply 5 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so you should be able to use Scitech Display Doctor 7 in order to install the video drivers for ANY video card that supports VBE, which apparently the 945 chipset does.

See here for links:
https://duncanbowring.wordpress.com/2015/12/0 … -audio-drivers/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 8, by reds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As for saying that VGA cards doesn't support 1280x1024 - sorry, i meant PCI, and i thought that best PCI cards can display at XGA. Well, good to know that I was wrong.
Thanks for mentioning Display Doctor 7, I'll try it out today.

btw, sorry for misunderstanding some intel's website, i've had no idea that it was a 945.

Reply 7 of 8, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also try this: http://www.bearwindows.boot-land.net/vbe9x.htm

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 8 of 8, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sorry, win9x not win3x, so ignore it.

AFAIK the last intel-win3x driver was released for the i815e chipset-gfx. It already has the issue,
that fullscreen dos and back to the windows-desktop leads to a sys-freeze.
But you can use nearly all resolutions and bitdepths and performance is great too.

For later intel-gfx or any other video-card the patched vesa-drivers form wfw311 should work.
they have the same issue with the fullscreen-dos and back to windows-desktop issue and
they supporet only 256 colors.

don't know how the other drivers mentioned here perfom any better or have a better featureset
with a gfx-chip that has no native support for win3x anymore.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines