VOGONS

Matrox Mystic and m3d.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by raver100

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got my 200mmx machine working after many years.
I had a voodoo card and a 2d card in there before but they died years ago.
In my stack of old kit i has a mystic and m3d cards which i have now installed, loaded wc3 and its really jumpy in flight is this a fault with the matrox card?

Any help appreciated.

Reply 1 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know what wc3 stands for, if it has Glide or SGL support, so I'm speaking generally.
m3d is cpu-hungry and, unlike early Glide games where a P1 MMX + V1 are enough for some descent gameplay, this is not the case for SGL games. A much, much more powerful processor is needed for an m3d to really deliver.

Reply 3 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wing Commander 3 doesn't support 3D acceleration. It's designed to run acceptably on a high end 486. Pentium MMX 200 and Matrox Mystique should run it smoothly in SVGA mode. Does it run super buttery smooth in plain VGA resolution? It should.

If you're expecting it to run at like 60 fps, that will never happen with a Pentium 200. I'm not sure the game engine can run that smooth anyway. It's a bit strange in how it feels and it might have a frame rate limiter.

Reply 5 of 6, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're trying to play in DOS.... I've found in my own experience that Matrox cards have horrible DOS compatibility..... the jumpiness and jerkiness reminds me of how my own G400 handles Jazz Jackrabbit and Commander Keen..... 🤣 just don't use these cards in DOS...... They're excellent Windows cards though!