VOGONS

First post, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, first post! Though I am a long time binge watcher of Philscomputerlab!
I'd really like some help with a problem that I've been trying to wrap my head around for years with no luck, and have more or less just tolerated.
In my Win98 retro gaming rig, I cannot for the life of me get AGP2X enabled and I have no idea why!
It's cutting my performance in half and is really annoying!

My system specs are as follows
CPU: AMD K6-2 CXT 266(overclocked to 380Mhz on a 95Mhz bus)
Mobo: Gigabyte 5SG100 rev 2.2 on the latest BIOS(SIS 5591/5595 chipset, the board is "described" as "Super Socket 7", But I suspect it's not fully compliant)
RAM: 128MB, 1 stick PC133 Micron RAM
Video card: Matrox Millenium G400 32MB AGP(not dual head)
Sound card: ISA ESS1868 based

This is the first machine I built from the ground up, I built it around 1998/1999, ended up blowing the original non-cxt core K6-2 early on because of a bad overclock, it started out with an Intel I740 graphics card, swapped that for an ATI Rage 128 later on because the I740 wasn't stable..... settled on a G400 for better performance.
I can't remember for the life of me if the old cards presented me with this same issue, but for as long as I can remember, I was never able to enable AGP2x on this Matrox card...... I've tried many drivers to no avail, I've tried Driver Cleaner 3.3 to make sure I have no old drivers gumming up the works, I've flashed my mobo BIOS on several occasions to different versions..... I just can't seem to get it enabled. PCIList, Powerstrip, and Matrox utilities all tell me that both my motherboard and my video card are capable of AGP 2X, but show it as disabled, and whenever I tick "AGP 2X enabled" it doesn't do anything.

thanks..... I'd really like some help with this, if anyone has any suggestions how I might get AGP 2X working, I'd highly appreciate it!

Reply 1 of 13, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello and welcome to VOGONS!

AGP2X support is probably flakey with the chipset your motherboard is using. I guess if you messed around with the BIOS and maybe some drivers you could get it to work, but there's not really much point in doing so. The G400 is severely bottlenecked by your CPU, so raising the transfer rate won't really help.

At this frequency, your K6-2 is probably no faster than a Pentium 2 266 in 3D games. Considering that even a single Voodoo2 card is bottlenecked slightly by such a CPU and that a G400 is roughly equal to a Voodoo3 or Riva TNT2 (both of which are slightly faster than 2xVoodoo2 cards!), the G400 hardly taxed when running games (unless of course you are the resolution so high that it becomes a GPU bottlenecked scenario!).

So, I think you shouldn't fuss about it, if everything's working alright at the moment, then enjoy it as it is. AGP2x won't uplift your performance at all. Chipsets of the era had notoriously bad AGP implementations which caused all sorts of issues. Be happy that its stable and move on, the path you're treading can only lead to agitation and regret. 🤣

Reply 2 of 13, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the input... yeah the K6-2s were a little disappointing in most games that didn't make use of 3Dnow.... Though I would think my overclock would atleast be able to trade blows with a PII 300 in alot of games considering I'm running on a much faster bus than 66Mhz, and the old PII 266 is still on that super gimped 66Mhz bus.

And I agree 100% about flaky chipset.... with my RAM and as fast as I've been able to push the CPU, you'd think cranking it up to a 100Mhz FSB would be no problem right? Not my board, it won't even allow 3x100 with any stability without putting the core voltage to an uncomfortable level, which makes me seriously question the "Super Socket 7" designation.... the CPU itself can easily do 400Mhz, on a 66Mhz bus though, I haven't tried pushing it any further than that, instead settling on 380/95.
I'd still love to get AGP functioning correctly..... but for the moment, performance isn't bad, and it can manage about any game I'd want to play in Windows 98

Reply 4 of 13, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel is not known for releasing unstable chips. That i740 graphics card being unstable should have been your FIRST clue that the MB wasn't working right. The i740 was DESIGNED around the AGP interface and what it could do. That right there says if the card was unstable, your AGP slot was unstable and that points to your MB. I ran a Diamond Stealth II G460 (using the Intel i740 graphics chip) on my AGP 2x MB for around 4 years without a problem. I remember playing Half-Life on it at 800x600 with playable framerates back in the day. It was a very stable graphics card.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 5 of 13, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FFXIhealer wrote:

Intel is not known for releasing unstable chips. That i740 graphics card being unstable should have been your FIRST clue that the MB wasn't working right. The i740 was DESIGNED around the AGP interface and what it could do. That right there says if the card was unstable, your AGP slot was unstable and that points to your MB. I ran a Diamond Stealth II G460 (using the Intel i740 graphics chip) on my AGP 2x MB for around 4 years without a problem. I remember playing Half-Life on it at 800x600 with playable framerates back in the day. It was a very stable graphics card.

You're not wrong..... the frustrations I've endured with this board back in the day, and Gigabytes complete lack of anything that could even remotely pass as support have contributed to my modern on going boycott of their products..... the Socket A board I bought from them a year or two later only cemented that..... it was a far more stable board and had a much better overall feel.... but the complete lack of support was still there, and left me with a pretty bad taste in my mouth in regards to Gigabyte.

This G400 has been the most stable card in this board, it's never been one to crash out in 3D games and gives me pretty decent performance..... even the Rage 128 wasn't as stable as it could have been with this board, it would crash out randomly in some of the more demanding games of the time..... I wondered back then if it was the card being pushed to hard or the board..... definitely seems to have been the board.....,. so, as long as it's stable now with what's currently in it, I'll probably just leave good enough alone.

Reply 6 of 13, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And for the record, AGP 2x IS the baseline for the AGP spec anyway. It's referencing its double data throughput compared to the PCI bus standard. AGP had 2x, 4x, and 8x flavors during its reign.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 7 of 13, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FFXIhealer wrote:

And for the record, AGP 2x IS the baseline for the AGP spec anyway. It's referencing its double data throughput compared to the PCI bus standard. AGP had 2x, 4x, and 8x flavors during its reign.

I'm afraid you're mistaken somewhat on that, AGP 1X does exist, It's capable of the same bandwidth of PCI 2.1.... and these older boards and cards would default to it if you couldn't get the settings sorted out to enable 2x

AGP 1.0 was capable of 1x/2x 266/533MBps
AGP 2.0 was capable of 4x 1066MBps
AGP 3.0 and 3.5 was capable of 8x 2133MBps

Reply 8 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

5SG100 is an interesting board. I have always been wanting to get one and test its compatibility with Tillamook but couldn't find one for cheap.
Can you get AGP 2x on 66MHz bus? SiS5591 chipset only supports 66MHz bus officially, albeit many board manufacturers overclock it to 100MHz. This makes it the most arguable "super 7" chipset.

FFXIhealer wrote:

Intel is not known for releasing unstable chips.

Uhem... P5's FDIV bug... P6's FSW bug... MTH of i820 chipset ...

As for i740, I can get 2x with 440LX board but it struggles with Aladdin V.

Reply 9 of 13, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
5SG100 is an interesting board. I have always been wanting to get one and test its compatibility with Tillamook but couldn't fin […]
Show full quote

5SG100 is an interesting board. I have always been wanting to get one and test its compatibility with Tillamook but couldn't find one for cheap.
Can you get AGP 2x on 66MHz bus? SiS5591 chipset only supports 66MHz bus officially, albeit many board manufacturers overclock it to 100MHz. This makes it the most arguable "super 7" chipset.

FFXIhealer wrote:

Uhem... P5's FDIV bug... P6's FSW bug... MTH of i820 chipset ...

As for i740, I can get 2x with 440LX board but it struggles with Aladdin V.

Yeah, it's a pretty weird board.... it's kinda like it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's a Baby AT form factor board with an AT keyboard connector, both AT and ATX power connectors, that uses a Socket 7 chipset while claiming Super Socket 7 compatibility.... it can get pretty close at 95Mhz..... but mine atleast refuses to push that extra 5Mhz.
I can test it at 66Mhz later tonight and see if that allows AGP 2X, but from what I can remember, I don't think it does, this board has always driven me crazy with that.
🤣, I remember when I bought this board, I walked into my local computer shop with every intention of buying a nice Gigabyte GA5AX, I'd done my research on the board and was sure this was the one I wanted, the last time I was drooling over things in the computer shop I clearly remember there being some on the shelf, but when I got there, all the 5AXs were gone, and this 5SG100 was all they had in stock.... needless to say... I'm not the most patient person on the planet and that day I walked out disappointed with a 5SG100 tucked under my arm! xD

Reply 10 of 13, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

🤣

Okay, carry on.

Was there really an AGP 1X only chipset? Intel released the i440LX, and it was 2X AGP baseline. Via released their VP3 (66 MHz Socket 7), and it was also AGP 2X as well.

Reply 11 of 13, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dexvx wrote:

Was there really an AGP 1X only chipset? Intel released the i440LX, and it was 2X AGP baseline. Via released their VP3 (66 MHz Socket 7), and it was also AGP 2X as well.

I don't believe so..... AGP 1x was more or less PCI, it was available as an option, but I don;t think any chipset was built solely around AGP 1X.... I do believe a few graphics cards were though, cards that were normally available as PCI, later released in AGP versions to capitalize on new slot but were really more or less still running in PCI mode.

The problem for me is that both my card and my board are AGP 1X and 2X compatible, but for whatever reason refuse to run on 2X.

Reply 12 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I fully agree with Lazibayer : This SiS chipset is stable up to 75mhz and maybe even 83mhz but made for 66fsb only. The extremely lucky ones might be able to get 90fsb semi-stable... 95 or 100fsb will not work stable on these boards. Also a 266 amd overclocked to almost 400mhz seems to be a bit much. It is not a celeron 300A! 😎

A k6-3+ overclocked to 600mhz can just keep up with a 300-350mhz p2 in SOME games so no, a k6-2 won't be anywhere near.

Back in the day wanting a Ga-5AX and coming home with that is kinda.... extremely dissapointing! 🤣

Today however it is a rare board and i would trade it for one of my 5AX boards in a hearthbeat! So keep it working and a bit more within spec, it is a nice board. I have a very similar Elitegroup P5SD-B (also SiS 5595 with AGP) laying around that i hope to get working someday, it is missing a part right now and i hope to fix it and test it with a Tillamook cpu.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 13 of 13, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:
I fully agree with Lazibayer : This SiS chipset is stable up to 75mhz and maybe even 83mhz but made for 66fsb only. The extremel […]
Show full quote

I fully agree with Lazibayer : This SiS chipset is stable up to 75mhz and maybe even 83mhz but made for 66fsb only. The extremely lucky ones might be able to get 90fsb semi-stable... 95 or 100fsb will not work stable on these boards. Also a 266 amd overclocked to almost 400mhz seems to be a bit much. It is not a celeron 300A! 😎

A k6-3+ overclocked to 600mhz can just keep up with a 300-350mhz p2 in SOME games so no, a k6-2 won't be anywhere near.

Back in the day wanting a Ga-5AX and coming home with that is kinda.... extremely dissapointing! 🤣

Today however it is a rare board and i would trade it for one of my 5AX boards in a hearthbeat! So keep it working and a bit more within spec, it is a nice board. I have a very similar Elitegroup P5SD-B (also SiS 5595 with AGP) laying around that i hope to get working someday, it is missing a part right now and i hope to fix it and test it with a Tillamook cpu.

I've actually got 95Mhz stable on this board.... solid as a rock, but it refuses to go 100.... the AGP issue appears to be a separate issue entirely, as bus speed seems to make no difference in whether AGP 2X works or not.
As much as I wanted a 5AX back in the day.... I actually wouldn't trade this board now, 🤣, not because it's rare..... but more because it's mine, and I have some fond(and not so fond) memories attached to it xD