VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 486 with an ET4000 and want to change the start-position of the textmode.
Is there a tool for that purpose?
I can remember having a 386dx and using a check-programm (checkit or anything similar).
that program showed a testsample of either textmode and gfx-mode and let you ajust the position of the shown picture while pressing keys on your keyboard.

I really need such a thing for correcting the position of lowres vga and standard textmode 80x25.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, besides CheckIt! I only know of Testbild. But it's made for the standard resolution of EGA, resp. VGA (640x350 / 640x480). XT video test

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But both cannot correct the screenposition of the picture and that my VERY annoying problem
either textmode 80x25 or VGA-Lowres 320x200 is centered of the screen. That's argh!" a no-go.

Reply 3 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would have expected the ET4000 had a good calibration for text and vga, but the onboard G100A on the other board is MUCH better. Intel IGP 81x is best overall.
VGA is analoge so there must be a way to correct this annoying problem.

Reply 4 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try 67HZCT ? It changes the refresh rate. A side effect of it is a displaced screen alignment.
Re: Cannon Fodder 1/2 - "out of range"

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 9, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sounds like your running it on an lcd. can you try a different monitor? crt should have no problems with base text modes and base vga modes. I have seen plenty of LCD that cant handle it tho.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 6 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

I have a 486 with an ET4000

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm thinking SciTech Display Doctor maybe?

Also have a brain itch that UniVESA or UniVBE had some capability to do it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.