VOGONS

Voodoo 2 SLI and 1024x768

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 60, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hasnopants wrote:

The location is labeled 'C119'. Anyone have any clue what that is and if its easily self-repairable? My first guess is that its a resistor...but I really don't know too much about electronics to say for sure.

It is a capacitor. It is probably there to even out the power supplied to the memory chip it is adjacent to -- which is depopulated. So I do not think that is the root of your issue. But it is trivial to replace if you have some fine soldering skills.

Reply 41 of 60, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a capacitor, and even though I can not view your images at work, if the solder pads are in place yes it is easily servicable and replacable; you just have to figure out what value and size capacitor you need there. Thankfully, you have a working card so you can measure from that.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 42 of 60, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, well I thought I had found the issue 🙁

When my new one comes in I will still try it in there and see if I can get the high resolution to go or not. As far as swapping it, if its a trivial piece since theres no memory there, I will probably just leave it. Thanks!

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 43 of 60, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hasnopants wrote:

Damn, well I thought I had found the issue 🙁

When my new one comes in I will still try it in there and see if I can get the high resolution to go or not. As far as swapping it, if its a trivial piece since theres no memory there, I will probably just leave it. Thanks!

Do check the texture processing units for bent legs that are in contact; I once had an Orchid card that behaved very strangely and had a red tint to it.. only in 800x600 in SLI and 640x480 in single card mode. 😵 It got resolved when I seperated the legs with a razor.

Another thing to check is your SLI cable, have you tried another one? I've had an SLI setup that failed on me and would only work in 640x480 resolution until I figured it was the cable and made a new one.

Reply 44 of 60, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where abouts are the texture processing units on the cards? If its easy to describe, I'd appreciate it.

As far as an SLI cable, I only have one...how do you make a new one? While in SLI it says in the driver "Sli detected" and I do notice an uptick in processing power on a PC Mark 99 bench while in SLI mode. The problem seems to be only when I push the cards to 1024 x 768 that the system freaks out and locks up.

Current Systems:

Reply 45 of 60, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just check all three 3dfx chips on the card. The ''legs touching'' is very common as a lot of those cards have been laying around for years in all sorts of places (including boxes full with other cards etc.).

Use a smartphone if you have one and simply install a magnifier app (makes life much easier with such tasks).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 46 of 60, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hasnopants wrote:

Where abouts are the texture processing units on the cards? If its easy to describe, I'd appreciate it.

As far as an SLI cable, I only have one...how do you make a new one? While in SLI it says in the driver "Sli detected" and I do notice an uptick in processing power on a PC Mark 99 bench while in SLI mode. The problem seems to be only when I push the cards to 1024 x 768 that the system freaks out and locks up.

SLI detection does not necesserily mean that all pins are connected as well as they should be, it could report SLI detected and not work perfectly.

SLI cables are easy to make out of Floppy ribbon cables, do a search on Youtube, I believe the guy from RetroMachines (pretty awesome dude, I'd really love to have a beer with him some day.. Too bad I live too far away..) has a good one.

Reply 47 of 60, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can report back that my new card came in and I swapped it with the one that I had found the missing cap on the mem module and I can run 1024 x 768 flawlessly. So consider this case finally closed! As for this spare voodoo 2 I have now...

Current Systems:

Reply 49 of 60, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AtTheGates wrote:

From what I've heard running a Voodoo II on anything over a PIII 550 makes them run incredibly hot. It seems the faster the CPU, the more it heats up.

I think you are confused. The CPU speed has no impact on a VooDoo II card's operating frequency. However, if one was to overclock the PCI bus out of specification, you might get that effect.

Reply 50 of 60, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the Goat wrote:
AtTheGates wrote:

From what I've heard running a Voodoo II on anything over a PIII 550 makes them run incredibly hot. It seems the faster the CPU, the more it heats up.

I think you are confused. The CPU speed has no impact on a VooDoo II card's operating frequency. However, if one was to overclock the PCI bus out of specification, you might get that effect.

The less cpu bottleneck it has the more fps the card can push meaning it actually does more work despite tunning on the same bus and clockspeed..

Reply 51 of 60, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
the Goat wrote:
AtTheGates wrote:

The less cpu bottleneck it has the more fps the card can push meaning it actually does more work despite tunning on the same bus and clockspeed..

Except, I don't believe those old chips have any power saving features (clock gates or power gates). So they are always operating at 100% even if there is nothing to process.

Reply 52 of 60, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone happen to know what the best replacement cap is for that C119 location on the back of a the card? I was just going to look around at prices...thanks all for your help!

Current Systems:

Reply 53 of 60, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those voodoo's can really be pushed extremely hard by a super fast cpu and make them run a lot hotter. But a pentium III 550 is not fast enough to do that, i think a very fast p4 or Athlon can make them hotter than normal, in any case, extra fan pointing at these cards is never a bad idea.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 54 of 60, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My V2-SLI Win95b Celeron 433 has some strange slowdowns when playing 800x600 or 1024x768.
In Glide there are no slowdowns in hires visable, I'll have check this out against the voodoo3 PCI in that
same machine. Perhaps it's an issue of WIn95b? but I don't think so.
Im not sure but I have not noticed these slowdowns with a voodoo3-pci.

more testing is needed. I seems that this has something to do with the lightning-effects.

Games that showed slowdowns: Blood2, Kingpin.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 55 of 60, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FFXIhealer wrote:

Dude, you need a dictionary. It's RENDERING THE IMAGE. IN MEMORY. The exact same triangles, the exact same textures, the exact same image.

Are you TRYING to troll here?

This is too wrong. Why do you think framerate increases with a v2 sli? Because the rendering work is spread across two cards. Yes they have the same vertices, but that is not a rendering pass. Each card renders and outputs alternative lines of pixels.

Reply 57 of 60, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am using my 2x Diamond Monsters on Win 98 SE still with no issues with slow downs on either of those games. I am using a P3 600MHZ cpu...if that helps. Good luck!

Current Systems:

Reply 58 of 60, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote:
FFXIhealer wrote:

Dude, you need a dictionary. It's RENDERING THE IMAGE. IN MEMORY. The exact same triangles, the exact same textures, the exact same image.

Are you TRYING to troll here?

This is too wrong. Why do you think framerate increases with a v2 sli? Because the rendering work is spread across two cards. Yes they have the same vertices, but that is not a rendering pass. Each card renders and outputs alternative lines of pixels.

yes 2 years later he is still wrong 🤣

Reply 59 of 60, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Except, I don't believe those old chips have any power saving features (clock gates or power gates). So they are always operating at 100% even if there is nothing to process.

No.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.