VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, we all use this chart quite often when trying to compare the DOS-worthiness of a given video card:
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

And it is a wonderfully comprehensive list... exhaustive even!

But, I'll be honest... for me personally there aren't any games on the list that I actually play on any of my retro systems (I know right? No Quake or Duke3D? 🤣 ). I may try some of them out at some point, don't get me wrong, but if I were going to pick a pile of DOS or early Windows games off of my game shelf and build a PC to play them, there wouldn't be any applicable references on this chart, so going strictly by which cards have a full green line and which ones don't may not be the best way to pick a card for a given build.

So, how about we make a thread for DOS or early Windows games that are known to be sensitive to certain video cards or certain system setups? Until we get a specific format for this, I'm just going to type a short description, putting into bold the title of the game, and highlighting the problem and the cards affected (or not affected).

One that comes to mind for me is a neat old RPG\Adventure game I found years ago called Alien Logic. It is very unusual... a bit rough around the edges, but certainly playable. I haven't dug into it extensively, but last year while playing it on one of my builds (TYAN 430HX, P200MMX, STB S3 VirgeVX, DOS6.22) noticed some strange shimmering graphics on the certain screens (especially the over-world traveling screens). I thought maybe my STB S3 Virge VX was dying, so I swapped it out for a Diamond S3 Virge DX... and it did the same thing! Swapping that out for a Matrox Millennium (1st gen... mostly to see the impressive early hardware acceleration in Nascar Racing), and the shimmering graphics went away. I plan to do more testing with this game on some other setups with other cards at some point, but if I had some other games to test at the same time it'd save a lot of trouble.

I found this interesting because in general, Matrox cards look fairly problematic based on the selection of games in the chart we usually use. And they very well may be in many games... but in this particular situation, the usual-go-to S3 cards gave me problems when the Matrox didn't. And this being a somewhat obscure game that people may not have played (and a seemingly decent one at that) it seems like a game people might play on a retro rig.

Feel free to discuss any other game+video card combinations that you have experienced problems with. Preferably, on more than one card to lessen the probability of it being caused by hardware failure. Basic system specs would probably be a good idea as well! If you have input on anyone else's problems, this could be a nice way to compile fixes and workarounds for common issues.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 2, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does it produce shimmering artifacts during palette changes (fade in-out)? If it does, that is caused by updating RAMDAC palette while active display, interfering with pixel output and causing "snow"/shimmering artifacts. In most cases, unfortunaly, there is no workaround (often if game offers VSync option setting it to "on" can help).
As far as I know, Matrox cards (in particular, RAMDACs used on them) are entirely snow-free. probably some other are also immune.

--wbcbz7