VOGONS

Reply 60 of 67, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure about the 8900D but the 9000i get destroyed in real world usage by the GD5429 1MB DRAM ISA I get as fastest ISA card I've bought (quite expensive too..) at least with a "time correct" Am386DX-40 high end config. Doom game is clearly smoother like no other ISA cards I have performed. Maybe only the ATi ISA card was similar (but slower) with also much better video output quality as expected from ATi.
The only problem I had with that card beside not the best video output signal, was that the specific GD5429 Win 3.x drivers using the great GUI acceleration crashed during Win 3.x benchmarks and I had to use the GD5428 ones which I think to remember were not the same at all and performed slower. I always thought that the drivers around were the ones for the VLB cards and not the ISA; while someone may say they should be the same I still don't think so.

Reply 61 of 67, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote on 2024-03-06, 17:32:

Not sure about the 8900D but the 9000i get destroyed in real world usage by the GD5429 1MB DRAM ISA I get as fastest ISA card I've bought (quite expensive too..) at least with a "time correct" Am386DX-40 high end config. Doom game is clearly smoother like no other ISA cards I have performed. Maybe only the ATi ISA card was similar (but slower) with also much better video output quality as expected from ATi.
The only problem I had with that card beside not the best video output signal, was that the specific GD5429 Win 3.x drivers using the great GUI acceleration crashed during Win 3.x benchmarks and I had to use the GD5428 ones which I think to remember were not the same at all and performed slower. I always thought that the drivers around were the ones for the VLB cards and not the ISA; while someone may say they should be the same I still don't think so.

Thanks, I also read your post earlier about that... You want a dump of STB Horizon BIOS? It should make your card fully "compatible" with the driver... Regarding the driver - you said you found the original driver (which I have from STB) -- can you tell me how to replicate the crash in Windows 3.1 please? I'd like to test that.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 62 of 67, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote on 2024-03-06, 17:42:
386SX wrote on 2024-03-06, 17:32:

Thanks, I also read your post earlier about that... You want a dump of STB Horizon BIOS? It should make your card fully "compatible" with the driver... Regarding the driver - you said you found the original driver (which I have from STB) -- can you tell me how to replicate the crash in Windows 3.1 please? I'd like to test that.

I remember having tried some Windows 3.x graphic well known benchmark that gave a final result I don't remember the name right now, I'll try to find it. Anyway with the GD5429 only drivers around the benchmark results were higher but I think to remember they ended up crashing the GUI and/or the benchmark at the point to reset the system. With the GD5428 drivers Win 3.x ran great but test results were slower. The GD5429 ISA drivers were the only ones you'd find around and I think I found even the official archived page of the drivers being problably the same or based on the same versions.
It might have been a system problem, maybe set too fast (not really) but it crashed even with factory bios settings.

Reply 63 of 67, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember having to try a LOT of GD5429 drivers back in the day to find a stable set on Win 3.x but I do not recall which ones I ended up with.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 64 of 67, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-06, 18:35:

I remember having to try a LOT of GD5429 drivers back in the day to find a stable set on Win 3.x but I do not recall which ones I ended up with.

There are only two out there now, as far as I know, "K5429-D2.ZIP" and the STB Horizon driver.

The generic driver is odd. Here are the contents of the install.inf:

义ㅆᓿ须蹽㾯섓�竭㥳ᝯ뵇賟�▮헝軭엍ڦ킧쪺醴﫴槩ኾ�臉츂餞ꃺ蜀矸↏﭅鶑괶瞻㗟뷲z㧝貓綂Ԇ䣳�樇옦ꮹ赘⸼�낸瓙鰈掉劓ଙ�籠韄뷗骇㤥蒂۵聀䋭ኊ쏌〮ழ喨筙㒗ދ
⨸뒊﫟ᤩ�斍쐦⬔﯒탒槃☼鏫黑镻ᔨ޺㎬曆좑緤䷢盼ㅄඵ付᱊脒箛䜒⚸�ᵧ㣵⺕戴騏雰풺듛잺퉿�࿏ꂯ靼䉙䦗ꇫ䥌뽛ﮧߖﳞ蠑⯲�傪磮耟륈郳┘쑗築闠囸䛝�ৄ׌ᬈ憯綒囋毩䰂鯄법ꏪ꿏༧䫳�㻐ჹ졼괡쑪뮺ﻒ䮍㭽潲ꈶ瞤믃젍ꗦ♓᱂鿂乎⪆㥒ﯨ안ၯ겛ꇗ얜폑귎镞짦ⓦ鬍껔姃⽏鍐�뤁淒ㅲ褰嚳컁晱摷童︚鬦ᮢ�먰䇠没糪ଜ畋紩㘲浒嶷ﵷङ먷㍢컄椛☔幯蔚㮫祒㛁䯾滕躵쨥گȣ䑯旑郀煋ᔵ㫲员間絋䘯醦駌⽚旟븝ᘎꉜ̗摨헠휪磏☩즗䲴⠏Ɪ넹쪹㕥촂猗㧤綘‘짏緞큉뚉ﵮ㌵柖朸驎ྟ빶엒皓�盒섂䄗螟⏠젯⾠࠽"劏௖靖鯈ᘗĒ賓纟녟䏱桧뮏ㅣ⏽⾭䷬黾漟츓䈡륯勲鄭㋉䗲儏☴ꔠ혿䡇౰�ꞻʀ䇶촕鑟챺А웙朢脟枲⋎ﳩ鏠즾칶抓瞒绹坝ꥼ䔶挧참䶘즶㣙㐑˫秄핺੤䴚鞖畻鞹踮쌓ヱ겟렺䄝뼓쑦騭㧹Ժ悅纷攢甼벩脹鬒悅ᅎ﹫ꑍ샷메콤䎙䞖祾炾ᩘ�᫯쁦ᑿ웧觠耍멩羍霶鐞�㛩酼ꖃ㙼몯㛑굞掸華ꂝ䤝廕霿㍨럌城彧螝醙꣮꫾骺硗絸騿茝攝芚랍뵗偹䨎㐋稆舥௢ꁁ昛얧瞞恸슶ꄶ瘕इ叭┫婦爨꟭﫮俗筶侑㠻깤ᶡ⷗柿ퟏ梇䗙ꊃ佇뚘嚄釂帏뾝社磧믢諮㐝푓㔞㺍㍂嗤븥擌ബ湷ꆔ뻷洨¯윖乆얰鿓܍誳拏ൊ켧ꈍ蘭稜继豺嶟㢶︺嘃�煃촷觭䊾澲鮨ﺟ恒묾⛘죬祏븘黅导ᝦ璩攩ﭫ妮疘쫶굏陸笓꿏储﩮⿶線�৵辜럗쭷罶�⾱班ௌ뙋痚Ⴓ꺳ⲯ聝衅슭骉蹄﹑㟼⚑뗳둅蓒�ⶫ羓먾�텯弗淫㈹殴뛯컏蝥�碸駊�䩸廂鬒啕愇慼ꊃ結䑩셃黶졙�效洯᠁ở뤂좴禈ࣳ杹ޖϮ잔ᦸ௔ৈ䧈姪邱

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 65 of 67, by Takedasun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WinTACH v1.2

GD5429 ISA freezes when passing this test (driver K5429-D2).

ou want a dump of STB Horizon BIOS?

You can upload a copy of this bios?

Reply 67 of 67, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Takedasun wrote on 2024-03-06, 19:55:

WinTACH v1.2

GD5429 ISA freezes when passing this test (driver K5429-D2).

You can upload a copy of this bios?

386SX wrote on 2024-03-06, 19:59:

Also the test it crashed on was Winbench for Win 3.1 and graphic test or something like that. But I think the Win GUI ended up crashing even using Win itself after a while.

Thanks, I will test and report back... It will take me some time - give me a few weeks... I'll dump the BIOS then as well. Cheers.

EDIT: I am attaching the Windows 3.1 STB Horizon Bios driver for the CL-GD5429 as well.

Attachments

• Filename
    hziv210c.zip
    File size
    812.94 KiB
    Downloads
    5 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png