VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

test machine: piii 1100, 512 mb ram, kyro ii 64mb agp (newest beta drivers), sb live!, 98se with dx 9.0c

ut04 settings: 640x480x16, medium settings, most checkboxes enabled (except those that cause it to hardfreeze all the time, could be either detail textures or trilinear filtering)

performance: default rankin botmatch 15-30fps, dips down to 10fps and below in firefights. lowering the settings further doesnt help much, running with no bots barely helps anything, the t&l emulation thing in the driver seems totally useless as well (and at times seemed to cause freezes too just after loading the bots). yeah i know without t&l it won't be that great but is the cpu this weak for the game? there is a video on youtube with faster cpu and it runs it much better than this.

on a side note, is the live! card supposed to give any benefit in this game? i didn't use the hw sound option for this test but when i do, although i get reverb, all the sounds seem quite bugged.

Reply 1 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure what you're expecting but the Kyro II is a dog on UT2004 anyway...

https://alt.3dcenter.org/artikel/voodoo5-6000/index24.php

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 11, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have never actually played UT2004 though looking at the system requirements you are cutting it fine. Though I do know with UT2003 your setup should happily play at around 60fps even on high settings at 800x600 and it's system requirements is not that much higher.

Reply 4 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are bottlenecked by Pentium III. For UT2004 you'll need top-tier Pentium 4/Athlon XP.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 11, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's definitely a CPU bottleneck, but it also depends on the map you're playing.
On max settings the AS-RobotFactory map could actually get my Athlon 64 FX-57 to its knees with around 35 FPS, but smaller maps could reach as much as 300.

Reply 6 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can cripple perfomance on any map with 10+ bots.

Reply 7 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it runs fairly ok on this tualatin with fast gpu here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4F83-5Crh0

an 1ghz piii is actually the minimum spec on the box, that is why i'm curious to see if it could be made to play the game acceptably. i suppose this only counts with a t&l card, though. raising the fsb to 115mhz and disabling "reduce mouse lag" (this is a huge performance hog on faster systems btw) improved it a bit but standing in door areas still chokes it hard. i suspect that plugging in something like a gf2 gts might unload the cpu enough to reach 30fps minimum at least on smaller dm maps.

with a fast cpu the kyro ii actually also plays the game quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7mC0Eqnues it is just the combination of slow cpu+kyro that is unplayable, it seems.

Reply 8 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

on a side note, is the live! card supposed to give any benefit in this game?

UT2003/2004 are Audigy 2 friendly and UT2004 can also be patched for X-Fi cards with onboard memory. Unfortunately EAX 2.0 cards like Live! (or any other with licensed support) not really that good.

it runs fairly ok on this tualatin with fast gpu here

It runs horribly, with dips to 35fps on a small starting map with just one bot.

Reply 9 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

It runs horribly, with dips to 35fps on a small starting map with just one bot.

i suspect he didn't disable the mouse lag thing, doing that can improve fps by 2-3x in some instances. i wonder why they checked it by default anyway, yes it helps lag a bit when fps are in single digits but by then the game is unplayable anyway.

Reply 11 of 11, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember my P4 1.8 having lots of trouble with UT2004 back in the day, and that was with a Radeon 9600 Pro. The game's definitely a CPU hog.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!