VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I was going through some old files on my PC and rediscovered something really cool. It looks like I saved these pages all the way back in 2002, and I can't find this article anywhere online anymore.

It is an article from Gamespot called "3D Accelerators: Making the Right Choice" and it gives an interesting overview of the 3D cards available at the time. It looks to be from around late 1996 to early 1997 or so, judging from the cards covered (no Voodoo 2, Rush, Riva 128, Rage 128).

It isn't terribly in depth and has very limited benchmarks, but it is a decent article that covers some of their strengths and weaknesses. Its interesting to see how they were perceived at that time over 20 years ago!

Also, its funny seeing the banner ads that were saved with the pages back in 2002. Its amazing that all of these files lasted this long. These most likely would have been downloaded originally on my system running an Athlon T-Bird 1.33Ghz in a K7S5A with a Geforce 4 Ti 4400. I'm pretty sure I discovered this last year when going through the contents of my old LS-120 disks (I had two that came with my Gateway in 1999 and I used them for years for backups, and they still work fine).

Let me know what you guys think of the article. Also, if you've saved any old articles or pages like this to archive yourself, why not post them here too? 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    Old 3dCard Article.zip
    File size
    961.04 KiB
    Downloads
    135 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 3, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't recommend boot! magazine enough for late 90s hardware reviews for gamers. I only wish there were something similar for early to mid-90s — I'm mostly interested in late 486 and Socket 7 at the moment. PC Magazine is the closest thing I've seen so far, but it's not exactly "gamer-friendly".

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog