VOGONS

First post, by SammyFox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry if this isn't the right subforums! But I figured this'd be as a good a place to ask as any!

Back when I had my first computer I had a strictly VGA monitor (As in it didn't support anything higher than 640x480) from iunno, the tail end of the 80s to the early 90s I guess. Anyway, what made this particular monitor special was that it had a button up on the monitor's right side, which when pressed would alternate between three "color" modes (I remember the first being green monochrome and one of the other twos being a blue tint, think early backlit LCDs) before switching back to the regular mode.

I'd like to find the model of that monitor because I want to get me another one of these days. It's a silly gimmick that even the 11yo me back in 2001 (it was a 486 computer I was given as a christmas gift. It was almost obsolete even then but hey I was really happy to have my own computer at all!) stopped using after a while but I'll be damned if it wasn't a decent little thing.

If this detail can help somehow, it was a 14 inch monitor.

Reply 1 of 4, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember something similar for the Acorn Archimedes back in my school days (late 80's early 90's). There was a switch allowing you to toggle between colour and green screen. No idea what the model number of that monitor was (wouldn't be PC compatible anyway I assume) but I'm surprised that the PC had something close to that.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Extremely rare for a VGA monitor to have such color changing switches. Most often these existed on multiformat color monitors to select the color when using monochrome outputs such as MDA.

I know an IDEK model that had such color masking switches.

Reply 3 of 4, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an Idek with those switches, but no combination of those that would give that blue effect. I think you're probably thinking of a TVM monitor, they had a switch that alternated between green, amber, and a blue background with either white or yellow text (it's been a while) that was supposed to relieve eyestrain or have some other benefit. Most of the the TVM monitors I saw in in the wild were CGA, but there is the TVM MD-11. It is a multisync monitor that does 15-31kHz - so CGA, EGA and standard VGA (640 x 480, but no higher). This would have been an really old monitor to be using in 2001, but back then I was still running an NEC multisync of similar vintage on one machine and a monitor with no case that came out of slot machine on another - you take whatever you can afford that works 😀