VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

a few days ago I tested all my Voodoo2 cards and one was a bit flaky. I remember a few years ago one had screen corruption but when I tested them now all seemed to work fine. When I repeated my tests with SLI setup one combo showed some glitches when running for a few minutes. I tested each card separately and one was bad - as I remembered.

Here are some photos from NFS3. What is going on and can it be repaired?

In between there wasn't much corruption but in the end, after ~2min, it was really bad. Otherwise chips don't get too hot.

yoXJT81m.jpg

Photo of the card - Creative Voodoo2 8MB CT6670:
sBhtD9Sm.jpg

When I got the card it was in a computer in pretty bad shape. It looked like it was in a basement with high moisture for quite some time. I cleaned everything but this card has problems 😢

Thanks

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 8, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would carefully inspect each chip to make sure that none of the legs are touching each other causing a short. It seems to be a common issue with these cards

Reply 3 of 8, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my opinion, it looks like a RAM issue.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 5 of 8, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, if you use the FastVoodoo drivers check the memory frequency. Those drivers overclock that in their standard configuration (95MHz instead of 90MHz)! That caused issues with one of my Voodoo2 cards!

See also: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

1982 to 2001

Reply 7 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested it again. FastVoodoo sets the frequency at 93MHz. I set it to default but the corruption remained. Then I inspected the card again and there are two SMDs missing at the back: C128 and C89. I guess it might be recoverable if someone know what it goes there and has the means to repair it.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 8, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably the same capacitors as C118. Google knows at least one example of this board that's also unpopulated there, but the components seem to be present on most of them.

My big-red-switch 486