Topic actions

Reply 21 of 106, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
reenigne wrote:

That link is a 404 for me

I see it's fixed now. Wow, that is some really nice CGA. I wonder how Trixter's "8088 Domination" player would cope with that.

Reply 22 of 106, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
reenigne wrote:
That link is a 404 for me, but here's what happens if we give the picture you attached the proper CGA treatment: http://www.reen […]
Show full quote

That link is a 404 for me, but here's what happens if we give the picture you attached the proper CGA treatment:
Vicelogo-1_out.png

Looks good, but not perfect.

Attachments

• darkside_logo.png
    Filename
    darkside_logo.png
    File size
    76.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 23 of 106, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should collect some CGA-Art, would be a good edition to my EGA-Collection https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/al … 157652364100484

Reply 25 of 106, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, it had to be drawn in CGA with d-paint, then it will have no errors.

1. wrong format (not 320x200)
2. more colors then 4
2. lot's of error's. e.g. the shadow has wrong pixels, wrong length of the shadow etc.

Reply 26 of 106, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

No, it had to be drawn in CGA with d-paint, then it will have no errors.

1. wrong format (not 320x200)
2. more colors then 4

This is because most people viewing this thread are not doing so using a CGA monitor. All the CGA images I've been making for this thread (and for display on modern PCs in general) are scaled to the proper aspect ratio using a high quality band-limited, gamma-corrected scaling algorithm to avoid distracting aliasing effects. I could instead have made the images so that CGA pixels correspond 1:1 to the pixels in the .png output (i.e. generate 320x200, 640x200 or 640x400 images) but then they would be squashed vertically, which to me is worse than the extra colours introduced by the scaling process.

dr.zeissler wrote:

2. lot's of error's. e.g. the shadow has wrong pixels, wrong length of the shadow etc.

I did touch up the image in a few spots to remove artifacts caused by scaling down from a larger source image with a different palette (and perhaps I could have done a better job at that), but that wouldn't have changed the lengths of any shadows - that must be in the source image. As for "shadow has wrong pixels" I take it to mean that you want the shadow of the word "VICE" to be pixel-perfect (where visible) to the magneta foreground word? I'm not sure why that would be important but yeah, as you said you'd need to draw it (or render from a vector image) at the desired resolution to get that.

Reply 27 of 106, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i do have a method for making pretty decent looking converted 16 color bitmap images

i had to do it because i have a 486 with only 8mb of ram and i wanted a good looking desktop wallpaper that didnt use a lot of ram. the machine lagged a lot with 256+ color bitmaps that were the full size of the desktop.

I dont know if this is useful to you at all , but while working on that method i made a way to convert almost any image to a cyan/pink version for fun.

Reply 29 of 106, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the best CGA painting program?
It has to able to use all available CGA-Palettes including chancing the background color and using different preconfigured patterns.

Thx
Doc

Reply 30 of 106, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:
What is the best CGA painting program? It has to able to use all available CGA-Palettes including chancing the background color […]
Show full quote

What is the best CGA painting program?
It has to able to use all available CGA-Palettes including chancing the background color and using different preconfigured patterns.

Thx
Doc

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe one of the Deluxe Paint versions? E.g. this one:

<link removed by moderator>

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 31 of 106, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are right, this old version of DPaint has CGA and preconfigured patterns. Thx!
I am testing Dr-Halo II as well. HighQuality CGA-Art is hard to find.

Reply 32 of 106, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After doing some further testing it seems that this here is the best gfx-art-programm for an XT/CGA.
<link removed by moderator> (PC Paint 1.00a)
It only does "PIC" Format, but it has the ability to switch between 6! CGA-Palettes (3 different with the option high and low intensity), and you can
change the background to each of the 16 colors!

Reply 33 of 106, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't mean to sound like a backseat moderator, but I don't think you're allowed to post links to abandonware sites of any kind here (this includes Wi****ldPC). I know software publishers probably won't care about the distribution of their older programs, but this site does have a notice against abandonware distribution on the bottom of every page.

Reply 34 of 106, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do what you like on your own time, but I think this site doesn't want to deal with any sticky legal issues. Also, "Abandonware" sometimes has changes introduced in the software that can make troubleshooting problematic.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 36 of 106, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Yes please don't post links to warez / "abandonware" sites.

Does the internet archive count as well?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 37 of 106, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Yes please don't post links to warez / "abandonware" sites.

Does the internet archive count as well?

Archive.org isn't treated black and white here, generally speaking, depends on the content. If it's freeware/shareware, usually no problem linking them. But don't link them if you're linking to what was (and still can be) full versions of commercial software.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 39 of 106, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

Would it be easy to convert a 16 color bitmap to cga becuase thats all I can make in my program

CGAArt (see the beginning of the thread) is the answer to all "convert to CGA" problems, but it does require a .png file (probably a 24-bit one) as input. There are lots of ways to convert a 16 colour bitmap to a .png, though (I usually use Paint Shop Pro for this).