Art of CGA

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 106, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ninjapig1212 wrote on 2021-08-01, 00:37:

Wanting to try viewing this 320x200 4 color image on actual vintage hardware, but I don't even have a TTL CRT monitor or CGA card yet.
Feeling very jealous of you gentlemen right now.

According to a rumour (Probably put around by the TVGA appreciation society and glee club) the Trident TVGA 8900 has "excellent" CGA mode support, to VGA output of course, so doubt the artifact color works, but could be something to try if you find yourself with those bits first. Anyway, it was convincing enough to me to make a mental note not to throw any TVGA8900s away just yet 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 81 of 106, by ninjapig1212

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-10, 23:46:

According to a rumour (Probably put around by the TVGA appreciation society and glee club) the Trident TVGA 8900 has "excellent" CGA mode support, to VGA output of course, so doubt the artifact color works, but could be something to try if you find yourself with those bits first. Anyway, it was convincing enough to me to make a mental note not to throw any TVGA8900s away just yet 🤣

Throwing away items related to retro computers?

I would like to sign a petition that designates the act a crime punishable by flogging or worse, ha ha ha.

Reply 82 of 106, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ninjapig1212 wrote on 2021-08-11, 08:43:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-10, 23:46:

Throwing away items related to retro computers?

I would like to sign a petition that designates the act a crime punishable by flogging or worse, ha ha ha.

Just call it e-waste prevention and you'll find a lot more supporters.

Regarding unusual CGA modes, a tweaked text mode with 40x100 character cells of 8x2 pixels is another viable option:

px3_text.png
Filename
px3_text.png
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File comment
Planet X3 (8-Bit Productions, LLC.) in text mode
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The screenshot shows Planet X3 with automatically pre-converted low-res Tandy artwork drawn by the unmodified low-res Tandy drawing code.
The font is the only exception. It is handmade.

Note: The text mode is an experimental post-marked addition by me. It is not part of the official distribution.

Reply 83 of 106, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Benedikt wrote on 2021-08-11, 09:26:

Regarding unusual CGA modes, a tweaked text mode with 40x100 character cells of 8x2 pixels is another viable option:

Why would you go 40x100, when CGA can do 80x100 character cells of 8x2 pixels each? Is it to avoid the snow issue in 80-character mode?

Reply 84 of 106, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly. Since it's a game and not just a picture, CGA snow would be unacceptable and updating the screen in the blanking intervals, only, would be way too slow.
Besides, the similarity between the memory models of the low-res Tandy mode and this tweaked text mode means that a tile-based game can use the same drawing code for both modes.

Reply 85 of 106, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ninjapig1212 wrote on 2021-08-10, 23:25:
Sorry about the late reply, I just saw your message. I use photoshop, but there is a lot of manual editing and pasting going on […]
Show full quote
MobyGamer wrote on 2021-08-01, 01:51:

That's excellent work. What program(s) did you use to create it?

Sorry about the late reply, I just saw your message.
I use photoshop, but there is a lot of manual editing and pasting going on so it's not exactly a automated process.

Here is another 320x200 4 color image.

HwdGrzB.png

The dithering on this one is really interesting! It looks like you've used ordered dithering on Indy's face and hand, and on the idol, but error diffusion elsewhere. Did you reduce the colour depth to 2bpp using different techniques for the different parts of the image and then recombine them? Or did the depth reduction algorithm you used happen to work out that way?

Reply 87 of 106, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's this stupid picture i drew of some force newman woman with the worst drawn rod in the world that i'm way too lazy to fix up

the other palette could make a good humar/hunewearl but rn have this

EDIT: Edited.

Attachments

• psofnwr3.png
    Filename
    psofnwr3.png
    File size
    9.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by leileilol on 2021-08-14, 02:02. Edited 2 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 88 of 106, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread infected me, now I see something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfH3_GWNHpk

... and I want to turn it into a CGA screen, maybe minimally animated, so it looks like road is moving, maybe add an adlib soundtrack 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 89 of 106, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been impressed by the CGA art in this thread!

Were there any CGA games that had technically impressive graphics despite the horrible limitations of the 320x200 palette?

I enjoyed KQ1, Bruce Lee, and Below the Root but those were all using NTSC artifact colours. Would be interested to see games that made good use of dithering.

Reply 90 of 106, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

KEN SIERRA WILLIAMS' Game Arts' Silpheed probably. It tried to do some kind of psuedo-scaled scrolling planetary background overlaid over the very 3d dither filled polygon shmup action and it was playable on 4.77MHz

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 92 of 106, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
emosun wrote on 2018-06-23, 02:56:

saw someone earlier looking for a miami vice in cga so i made this

I would guess the Miami vice logo would cooler with a white background, perhaps with a dithered white sunset.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 93 of 106, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-13, 19:15:

... and I want to turn it into a CGA screen, maybe minimally animated, so it looks like road is moving, maybe add an adlib soundtrack 🤣

There are midi files for that, just need the animation 8088 denomination style

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-CzgwiBvY

Reply 94 of 106, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Peaks.EGA has made a few occasional CGA posts.

https://twitter.com/PeaksEGA/status/1395140640669933577
https://twitter.com/PeaksEGA/status/1404941351494504448
https://twitter.com/PeaksEGA/status/1412150782347157505

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 95 of 106, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-08-15, 14:50:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-13, 19:15:

There are midi files for that, just need the animation 8088 denomination style

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-CzgwiBvY

Wow, apart from the programatic rigidity of the playing and the absence of production effects and massaging, that could be the real thing.

Reply 96 of 106, by ninjapig1212

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
reenigne wrote on 2021-08-11, 18:23:

The dithering on this one is really interesting! It looks like you've used ordered dithering on Indy's face and hand, and on the idol, but error diffusion elsewhere. Did you reduce the colour depth to 2bpp using different techniques for the different parts of the image and then recombine them? Or did the depth reduction algorithm you used happen to work out that way?

Sorry for the late reply, I don't visit forums too often.

The method I use is actually simpler but requires more manual work. Perhaps that makes it not simple? I dunno.
Data algorithm methods are beyond my capabilities as of now. I should learn them already.

wwtTeZx.png 7ej3VV3.png

There are areas that I want to show with "pattern" (ordered) dithering, they get dithered in photoshop, cut out, and pasted on top of another instance of the same image that was diffusion-dithered. After that, if I notice pixels that I don't like or if I feel more lines are needed, new pixels are painted onto the image.

Last edited by ninjapig1212 on 2021-08-16, 05:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 97 of 106, by ninjapig1212

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2021-08-12, 20:35:
Here's this stupid picture i drew of some force newman woman with the worst drawn rod in the world that i'm way too lazy to fix […]
Show full quote

Here's this stupid picture i drew of some force newman woman with the worst drawn rod in the world that i'm way too lazy to fix up

the other palette could make a good humar/hunewearl but rn have this

file.php?id=116656&mode=view

EDIT: Edited.

Where is the thumbs up or like button? I cannot find them.

Reply 99 of 106, by ninjapig1212

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-08-16, 04:56:

The colors are not so good on a real cga-machine.

Omg I was using the wrong colors this whole time. Thank you for pointing this out.

Wrong: FF0000, FFFF00, 00FF00, 000000
Correct: FF5555, FFFF55, 55FF55, 000000