VOGONS

First post, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a functioning Voodoo 5 5500 with the original HSFs. Both fans work, and the card still performs phenomenally with no apparent temperature issues. But the card is nearing twenty years old, and I know for fact the compound has never been changed out since the heatsinks are still attached with thermal glue. I already had one V3 3000 PCI die on me after being stored without use for a couple of years, and I have no idea if it was due to constant past use with the giant heatsink w/ no fan, or something else.

Given its age, would it be best to go ahead and do the freeze-spray heatsink removal technique, clean and apply AS5, and remount them with custom mounts? On that note, could I use a modern variant of thermal glue to remount the heatsinks? Last I kicked around a computer forum fifteen years ago, that was taboo then, and I'd figure still is today. 😅

P3B-F 1.04, PIII 1k, 512MB PC133, GF DDR 32MB + DM3DII 12MB SLI, SB0100
P3B-F 1.03, PIII 700, 384MB PC100, V5 AGP, SB0160
CP 5170, PII 350, 256MB PC100, Rage LT 2MB, ESS 1869
PB M S610, PMMX 233, 128MB EDO66, DM3D 4MB, Aztech

Reply 1 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as i know 3dfx almost chose to passively cool them so that's probably why the coolers are so small, they don't need a lot of cooling.

By fiddling with the coolers i'm always afraid that something goes wrong as the coolers are indeed glued on. I think by simply adding a good and big system cooler that blows straight at the card your doing more than enough. And that's exactly how i do it, with all my voodoo's.

I do have one voodoo5 that i got completely without any cooling. So i put on 2 bigger/higher heatsinks with paste in the middle and superglue on the 4 edges of each chip. If i use it i will again only blow one big fan at the card so that one would be running without it's little fans completely, and it will be fine.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 7, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

As far as i know 3dfx almost chose to passively cool them so that's probably why the coolers are so small, they don't need a lot of cooling.

By fiddling with the coolers i'm always afraid that something goes wrong as the coolers are indeed glued on. I think by simply adding a good and big system cooler that blows straight at the card your doing more than enough. And that's exactly how i do it, with all my voodoo's.

I do have one voodoo5 that i got completely without any cooling. So i put on 2 bigger/higher heatsinks with paste in the middle and superglue on the 4 edges of each chip. If i use it i will again only blow one big fan at the card so that one would be running without it's little fans completely, and it will be fine.

I was thinking about doing similarly with mine, using the removal method and Titan TTC-CUV1AB HSFs linked in this thread. I know those HSFs in particular are supposed to line up (for the most part) with the pre-drilled holes around the GPUs. I measured the distances between mine, and sure enough, it does seem to match up with the specs. My biggest fear is messing up something by removing the heatsinks, although the freeze-spray method seems to work well for most.

If I can get away with just making sure the current fans keep working and perhaps adding some extra cooling if needed, then I'm all down for that. I just want to do whatever will help my V5 last.

Reply 3 of 7, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I replaced the heatsinks and fans on my two Voodoo 5 cards. When I did so, I used thermal epoxy. Yeah, I know, it's a sin. But, these cards are for my personal enjoyment and I never plan to sell them. To me, keeping them running as long as possible is my goal, so I used high quality thermal epoxy, copper heatsinks, and good fans.

Read more and get more details in my old post here:

[Build Log] ABIT KT7A-RAID Based System

If nothing else, check this out:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3068

Reply 4 of 7, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:
I replaced the heatsinks and fans on my two Voodoo 5 cards. When I did so, I used thermal epoxy. Yeah, I know, it's a sin. Bu […]
Show full quote

I replaced the heatsinks and fans on my two Voodoo 5 cards. When I did so, I used thermal epoxy. Yeah, I know, it's a sin. But, these cards are for my personal enjoyment and I never plan to sell them. To me, keeping them running as long as possible is my goal, so I used high quality thermal epoxy, copper heatsinks, and good fans.

Read more and get more details in my old post here:

[Build Log] ABIT KT7A-RAID Based System

If nothing else, check this out:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3068

Same here. I owned my V3 since 2000 before it gave up the ghost recently, and I've had the V5 for several years now. So long as I can keep it running, I have no intent to sell it. 😀

Thanks for the details! I might look into both the Evercool and the Titan coolers, since the Titan ones were reported to fit without modification. In any case, I've heard it go both ways: some feel the stock coolers are more than adequate, and some call them a joke. If I can get the stock HSFs off without damaging the board, I don't mind the time and effort required to make sure this thing lasts. But even with the different proven techniques of removing them, it's still a bit terrifying. 😅

Reply 5 of 7, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember being really nervous when I removed the heatsinks on my Voodoo 5 cards. Still, at the time, an AGP model was only about $55 on eBay. PCI models were going for about $75. There was still a risk in destroying my cards, but being able to afford a replacement wasn't too much of a concern. Thus, I wasn't too terribly worried about it. Nowadays, I don't know if I would attempt it with today's insane prices for Voodoo 5 cards on eBay. I'm glad I got my cards when I did, because I don't think I would ever buy one at today's prices.

Anyway, I did my cards by putting them in my freezer and turning it down to its coldest settings. I left them in there for two days. When I was ready, I got all my tools and work area prepped. I knew I would only have minutes to do the job after removing the cards from the freezer.

I used an old credit card to shield the GPU chips and a large flat-head screwdriver to pop off the heatsinks. The trick is to work quickly after removing the cards from the freezer. You want them as cold as possible so that the heatsinks pop off quickly and easily.

Once the heatsinks are off, let the cards warm up to room temperature. Then, using the strongest isopropyl alcohol you can find and a bunch of cotton swabs, start working at removing the old glue on the chips. I remember this taking an incredibly long time; something on the order of an hour+ per chip. Just keep working at it and the glue will come off eventually. Make sure you're grounded and using good ESD prevention while doing this stuff.

Reply 7 of 7, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mzry wrote:

Here is a video of me removing the heat sinks off my v5 using freeze spray. It is surprisingly easy.

https://youtu.be/5hB4jOCHLHc

Actually, yours is the one I saved in my Watch Later list a couple weeks back, haha! If I go about doing it, it'll likely be this way. 😀