VOGONS

First post, by AwesomeMarioFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have an older Windows 95 computer which I am working on. It contains a video card which utilizes the S3 Virge chip (N1E3BD). I am not sure of the manufacturer of it, since the board is brown versus all of the photos I seen of other S3 Virge video cards which were green. The problem I am having with the card however is that when I start the computer, it will run perfectly fine for about 30 seconds, then the screen will start to pixelate. It will then get worse for a few seconds, then the video output will stop and the monitor will go into standby mode. Sometimes the video output starts again with a completely white screen after this, which gets brighter for a couple of seconds, then the video signal goes out again. This problem only happens if I am in the BIOS or running a Windows boot disc, if I run DOS the computer will work fine. I have narrowed this problem down to the card because I can press the reset button on the front of the computer while the screen is black and it will restart without the video signal. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know a way to fix it?

Thanks,
John

Reply 1 of 2, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds almost certainly like a VRAM issue, are the RAM on the card socketed? If so remove them and check for corrosion, then reseat them. If not, you're kind of screwed.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, that's not a VRAM issue. No matter how bad the memory is, it would never make the RAMDAC stop outputting a video signal. Sounds more like broken solder joints on the ViRGE chip (which has the RAMDAC integrated). Once the chip heats up, contacts break. If you have the equipment, try reflowing the chip. If not, toss the card and get a new one. They are cheap and ubiquitous.