VOGONS

First post, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is a duplicate post, but I figured this is the right section for this kind of thread.

I'm experiencing graphics-related problems with my ASUS P2B Rev 1.02 motherboard. I've already tried 2 different AGP cards and both end up hanging the system all while hitting new lows every time it happens. At first, I thought it was a problem with the drivers when I got frequent crashes with the TNT2 M64, which soon proved to be false when tried it with a near mint GeForce2 MX400. I then fiddled with the graphics aperture size after seeing some old post about someone else experiencing the same problem so I set it to 4MB. That too, failed. It pretty much just controls how much time it takes for the computer to hang. Put simply, both cards basically perform the exact same.

Things I've tried so far:
- a different OS (Windows 98 default, Windows 2K for the experiment)
- removing all expansion cards but the graphics
- pretty much every BIOS setting (AWARD 4.51PG 1005)
- looking for AGP ratio jumpers (found none, allegedly 2:3)
- freeing up power supply connectors
- different IRQ settings
- several drivers (Detonators work when not using 3D, ForceWare fails at random)
- testing RAM (all 3 modules in all 3 DIMMs)

I have yet to try memtest86 to really find out if my RAM is alright, but actually have no CD's at the moment to burn... I can only blame my old self for burning so many pointless discs!

A final note, someone told me to look for bad capacitors on the board, and to my knowledge only 1 of them is somewhat suspicious; it's a little bumped on the top.

Any help is appreciated, I'm so very desperate to get this machine working properly, but I can only do so much myself 😢

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 1 of 2, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it run just fine with a PCI card?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 2, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately I don't have a PCI card to test, and MemTest just confirmed my RAM modules are working fine so I think it's either the PSU or the hard drive...

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04