VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'm curious to know your opinion on which is the fastest video card for a K6-2+ 550Mhz where I can still see few improvements in frame rate for both Dx6/Dx7 game, frame more , frame less. I was thinking about the Radeon 9500 as a possible choice. I imagine a Geforce 2 MX will already be limited when even a Voodoo3 was but I'm trying the same the best AGP cards on this.
Basically the question would be, which card still have some sense to push/free the work of a K6-2?
Thank
Bye

Reply 1 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

9500 would be horribly CPU bottlenecked with a K6-2 I would think, and the architecture is designed with DX9 and somewhad DX8 in mind. For DX6/7 I wouldn't go beyond a GeForce 2 GTS/Ultra/Ti with that chip, and that would probably still be overkill.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Given driver bloat and the bad control panels among driver maturity, i'd say on the nvidia side the Geforce4 Ti.

Of course, SS7 chipsets may hugely vary on what cards you'll want to run since AGP is such a hit or miss on SS7. A VIA will keep you back at Voodoo3...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 6, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GeForce cards if you want to run something that supports HW T&L.

Otherwise, a Voodoo 3 will actually be slightly faster unless you are utterly GPU limited. In that case, you can also consider a Voodoo 5 😀.

Reply 5 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Considering you'll want to run Glide if possible, Voodoo3. The CPU overhead is lower and games run better especially on pathetic CPUs.

"Video card for K6-2+"

Cold. 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 6, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for your answers.
Until now I've tried a Kyro2 that's obviosuly very limited by the cpu (1050 points at 3dmark2000) and then a Radeon SDR and a Radeon DDR.
The board is a ATC 5220 on VIA MVP3 chipset. The performance are not good imho considering using a 550Mhz K62+, I was expecting a bit more, or maybe something is wrong with this motherboard. For example with the Radeon's R100 (both DDR and SDR) I get 1600 points at 3dmark2000 using Hardware T&L. Is it "right"?
Anyway I now try the Voodoo3 2000 AGP and after the S3 Savage4 (and maybe also the 2000). The only Geforce I've on AGP are the Geforce SDR 32MB and the Geforce 2 MX 32MB.